Help with 2wd launch

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
Looking for advice on my truck,its a 2wd crew cab and when I race I have some m and h 275 drag radials on factory wheels. I have cut a 1.72 60 ft but the track was well prepped. Usually 1.8-1.9 as the track is run down,I want to add more mods for power but don't want to go backwards on tires. So I was wondering would a slick,let's say m and h on 16 inch wheels vs the radials really pay off that much. The hardest I can leave now is 2000 rpm, I think the converter is around 2200,don't quote me on that. I'm looking at a grand for a slick and rim set up,so anyone who has run in 2wd feel free to chime in,thanks.

07bluelbz

Work Hard & Play Harder
Sep 6, 2009
Beaumont,Texas
Hey Matt, Talk to Kory Willis. (bluessmax) He is doing very well launching his 2wd. He has some pretty large slicks on the back I believe.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Slicks would definitely be the best. But you might look into getting some adjustable shocks like Qa1's. The idea is to have the rear shock collapse fairly easily and rebound slowly.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
What shocks are you running? Being 2wd you want as much weight transfer as possible to the rear tires. Something like the old 90/10 setup should work.

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la
I have caltracs now and have them dialed in quite nicely.. I also have a SC 1058 Converter that allows for a pretty nice stall, and QA1 dual adjustable shocks on the front and single adjust on rear.. This past weekend the truck cut consistant 1.60s and stayed putting it to the ground the whole way down the track. From dialing in the suspension alone (and not spinning all over the place down the track) the truck has picked up 3 10ths. I have the QA1s set up to rebound quickly and compress slowly, and the rear is set on 8 i believe. When i had the rear all the way loosened up the truck bounced a little.. tightened the rear up and it quit bouncing and went 2 hundredths quicker. I have also removed the overloads, but plan on removing more to further assist the weight transfer. I'm by far no suspension smart fella, but this is working for me so far! I really want to try a 2nd gear launch considering i can program my lockup to come on whenever i want and see what she does! I will be going to the track one last time with the Allison and then its getting a 48re w/ a transbrake.

Good luck man!