Help! Very odd noise from engine

Barlow

Barlow
Apr 19, 2009
Mississippi
Ok when driving at low throttle around town im getting a loud knock/rattle from what sounds to be my driver side bank. It sounds like really loud diesel compression sounds like on a big rig. But when i get on the throttle it clears up till i let out of it and then i hear it loud again... I cant tell if its valves, turbo bearing, piston slap, or what? I fear major engine damage tho and I only run a 90hp tune. Wish I could let yall hear the noise

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Codes? Engine run rough? White diesel-smelling smoke at idle? Check the balance rates, engine oil, and go from there.

Sep 10, 2008
Morehead City, North Carolina
Good ole lb7 injectors....i heard that "type writer" knocking and three days later my garage floor was covered in fuel leaking out of the crank case. Funny thing b/c I had zero white/blue smoke and the balance rates looked fine day b4 it happened. Check your oil see if it smells like fuel or do a wick test on a paper towel.

Barlow

Barlow
Apr 19, 2009
Mississippi
DOes the noise seem to clear up when your on the throttle pretty good? When I accelerate hard it sounds normal but when i let out of it I hear the loud rattle/knock/ typewriter noise

Lb7KID

ZoomZoom
Jan 24, 2010
parker,colo
Could be a cracked flexplate?

i dont no when my flex plate cracked it would like ting ting ting ting ting... if youer sitting at a stop light and you hold one foot on the break and the other on the fuel peddle and kinda high idle it does it sound kinda like it clearing up??