Help me understand EBAY pricing on a item of interest!

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I cannot understand pricing on a Police Scanner that I have interest in. Years ago I had one and I'm interested in it once again out of shear boredom at work. :D

Anyway the Scanner is a GRE PSR 500. I have put bids on three of them so far USED! New ones sell anywhere from $358 with free shipping to as high as almost $500 dollars with out shipping.

I'm interested in a used one. There has been a few lately opening bid around $240 dollars. Now foe some odd reason I lost or did not win the auctions. The reason is I REFUSE to pay near BRAND NEW RETAIL for a used scanner! Each and everyone sold for $300 dollars with out shipping .The last one sold for $330 dollars PLUS $23 dollars shipping!If you do the math that's $353 dollars ,
$5 dollars less than a brand new one shipped to YOUR door! I don't get it!

I put a max bid in on that one of $295 dollars as it came with a hard case. In addition each one is specific about NO RETURNS! Why would anyone pay near the cost of a brand new unit in the box with manufactures warranty for a used one with NO warranty? This is great for the sellers but I cannot figure out how the buyers can be so stupid!

I suspect that although,the buyers really aren't buyers but the sellers with other accounts. Are there any rules against this practice or is there really no way to tell? What makes me believe that that is NOT a possible equation is I don't or haven't seen the item re-listed.

Are buyers just that stupid,or am I missing something? Item descriptions seem to be uniform,one scanner does not appear to do something the other cannot do! Except for a hard case the last one had they appear to be the same! IMO scanner programming doesn't play a roll as you can find it for free or do it yourself. Unless this is the missing clue as one country programing I've seen is around $70 bucks? Anybody know anything about this I figured I'd ask?

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
I have never understood why people pay what they pay for items on eBay. A few things i've sold have sold for $100's more than my buy it now. I had my banshee motor listed for buy it now $1150 shipped and it ended up selling for 1450 plus shipping it's crazy. I think people get caught up in bidding stop thinking about what the item is worth sometimes.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Very well possible

Perhaps its a EGO thing and I'm going to win this no matter what! Pretty stupid if you ask me. I'm certainly not that stupid,if the item is worth ,well this particular one, is $358 dollars to your door from a seller in the USA with positive feedback as a KNOW seller I'm not going to pay USED for the price of NEW! Whats the point?

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
I have never understood why people pay what they pay for items on eBay. A few things i've sold have sold for $100's more than my buy it now. I had my banshee motor listed for buy it now $1150 shipped and it ended up selling for 1450 plus shipping it's crazy. I think people get caught up in bidding stop thinking about what the item is worth sometimes.

X2. That is why we quit going to farm auctions. People pay damn near retail on tractors that are wore out and not even worth half what they pay. One I can remember from last year was a 500 gallon fuel trailer. It was bought 2yrs pryor and sold for retail of what a new one cost this year.

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
I think on some items the seller buys there item back. I've seen it alot at charity auctions. My dad is a chainsaw artist and frequently donates carvings to auctions that he attends. If no one is bidding even close to what it's worth he will bid, buy it back and make that money back plus a profit at another event. It could just b me, but I think it happens on eBay alot also. And they may or may not relist it on eBay. They might try to sell it on craigslist or something.

jrkrace

May 4, 2008
Connecticut
Might want to check if what you listen to has any digital trunking involved. Some scanners pick it up and some don't..

Heck at that price, I would go with a Motorola HT 1250 programmed for your freqs. I've got an HT 1000 that has been underwater, super hot, and has been dropped too many times to count and the thing still works perfectly..

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
mac I assume you have speakers on your computer there at work.....just go on radioreference. Its free. :D

www.radioreference.com

Yes I do that exactly. BUT not all towns are available and the ones that are constantly drop off line. In other words unreliable sometimes it works great other times it isn't worth the effort.

I'd like the hand-held to have in the vehicle to know when the cops are chasing me. :D

I didn't know it but also some towns around me have gone encrypted so you cannot listen.

Years ago (I know illegal) back when cell phones were analog it would pick up the frequencies. Not possible today as they have gone digital. But the conversations you use to hear out of Waterbury were quite amusing. From drug deals to prostitute hook ups! :roflmao:

Really made the day pass by quickly at work.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Might want to check if what you listen to has any digital trunking involved. Some scanners pick it up and some don't..

Heck at that price, I would go with a Motorola HT 1250 programmed for your freqs. I've got an HT 1000 that has been underwater, super hot, and has been dropped too many times to count and the thing still works perfectly..

Ya I'll need Trunking capabilities thats why I chose that scanner as it has pretty much all the bells and whistles . Some towns and the State Police use Trunking but then again some towns are still analog. Since I'm just a novice I'd like to pick up a used one BUT I'm not gonna pay new for used or I'll just buy new.

I'm pretty sure Radio Shack has a equivalent to the GRE PSR 500 I'm going to start looking for one of those but I do prefer buying the GRE over Radio Shack.

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Mack, I sell on eBay and even I can't believe what people will pay for some items! It's not like I'm out there to rip them off since I start all my auctions at $.99. And I don't do any shill bidding either. It's like you said, people get caught up in the bidding and will go higher than what the item is really worth.

Nick

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Mack, I sell on eBay and even I can't believe what people will pay for some items! It's not like I'm out there to rip them off since I start all my auctions at $.99. And I don't do any shill bidding either. It's like you said, people get caught up in the bidding and will go higher than what the item is really worth.

Nick

So it's confirmed people are just dumb! :D

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
Yea, it's mostly because people are just unaware/unwilling to check around for better prices. They see the "retail" price of things but don't have the time or the care to check Amazon, google, etc.

I've sold plenty of stuff on ebay for many times what I actually thought it was worth. I've also seen stuff sell for way more than it should have. I've seen people pay $2600 for a beat LB7 with 325,000mi on it. I've seen people pay $650 for beat-ass turbos.. no rhyme or reason.

I've sold broken down chainsaws with siezed pistons (described completely accurately) for $155 on ebay...

Someone thinks they can fix it and make a buck. I wouldn't do it.