!!HELP!! Black and white smoke

Karendiesel

Jan 6, 2015
2004 lly. I sucked a bunch of water into my intake while out hunting. Took to a diesel tech and $10,000 insurance money and 8 months later I have my truck back. I picked it up twice before and it immediately blew a couple injectors both times. This last time everything seemed fine drove it 1000 miles back home with no issues. Now when I am going between 65 mph and higher it will blow streams of black smoke and occasionally a big puff of white smoke. However I can drive it as hard or easy as I want and it runs perfectly until I hit that speed. They replaced injectors, one glowplug, ECM and wiring harness a few other minor things. I didn't see any work on the MAF which is what I suspect the problem is. Glowplugs were my other option considering the temp here but it starts just fine and the motor is hot when it does this. Anybody have any ideas?? It sounds like it choking when it does it but idles and everything completely normal. I'm lost

Karendiesel

Jan 6, 2015
Depends, is that a pretty cheap thing to get checked? Kinda broke the bank, and in Missouri but temps are in the 0-20F range not super cold or anything

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Are you loosing coolant?
Is there residual/excessive pressure in the coolant system?
What are your coolant temps?
Heater working good and consistent?

Did they pull the heads and replace gaskets?

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
I know its probably not extremely close but Danville Performance is a great shop and a problem like this needs to be looked at by a professional. Just driving this truck around could be doing damage that you are not aware of. It also sounds like you may have had some unsuccessful repair attempts. A good diagnostic from a quality shop will go a long way. I would expect wherever you go the diagnostic will be substantial as they need to look over previous repairs which may repair labor intensive tear down and testing.

Karendiesel

Jan 6, 2015
Haven't noticed any coolant loss, however my temp typically reads 170 or so which seems a lot lower than the norm it was usually was closer to 210 it is also the start of winter though. They did not replace the head gasket according to the recipt. And I would love to get a good diagnosis however I just got out of the military and am I between jobs.

Karendiesel

Jan 6, 2015
Update: cleaned air intake and maf, looks like they never cleaned it, noticed a clamp after my maf but before the turbo was loose, put some fresh oil in. Still acts up from time to time. Could a new ECM or FICM be causing this?? Had to drive 1000miles the day I picked it back up, could that have screwed up some relearning process or something?

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
What do you mean from time to time? Can you repeat the issue easily? If you can, how? It is very likely the MAF, if you have a scan tool look at the MAF and IAT data and see if it jumps while it is acting up.

I had a friend with an LLY that would randomly puff smoke at just above an idle and lurch/chug. If you logged it the majority of the sensors would jump to bogus out of range data. It had an aftermarket warranty so he took it to the dealer a couple times to no avail. Long story short I figured out all those sensors were powered through the ECM B fuse. The contacts were bent and loose from a previews owners fuse tap that had been since removed.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Try unplugging the egr valve and see what happens..

Where at in missouri?

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Black to white like that sounds like the unison ring in the turbo sticking as the turbo vanes cycle.

Very well could be the MAF sensor, though I would expect codes. If cleaning it helped, I would pull it, clean it again and see what happens.

If you sucked water into the intake, you may have flooded some connectors under the hood. Chasing down where can take a lifetime.