LMM: Hello from south Texas

Arciniega

Feb 20, 2018
McAllen, TX
Hello everyone my name is Jose Arciniega. I have owned my 07.5 crew cab Silverado LT for almost two years now, but still I consider myself new to diesels since I haven't worked much on these engines. I used to own a 1980 International Scout II with a stock SD33T diesel engine on it, but working on it was much simpler then working on these new motors.

Well like I mentioned I bought my LMM almost two years ago wiith 248k miles on it. A month after I got it, I did the DPF delete and EGR delete. Programmed it put some 285/75 R16 tires on it and done the regular maintenance on it. I replaced the front hub rotors with some TIMKEN ones just for peace of mind as well as the entire front end suspension. I work as a boiler maker/welding QC Inspector so I travel a lot. I've put over 40k miles on it, I'm very happy with it and enjoying it very much.
Unfortunately, when I bought the truck, I was aware it had had some front end damage but it had been fixed. Well apparently the transmission oil cooler got damaged and instead of replacing it with an original, a smaller one is there and the cooler lines were just hacksawed off and a hose rammed in the tubing (which has no barbs) with a hose clamp, and on to a barbed 1/2 inch fitting on the cooler itself. Four weeks ago the hose slipped off the barbless tubing and I lost about a gallon and a half of my transmission oil. Anyways now I'm trying to find some lines and an original cooler or one that does as good or better job as the original, so I may fix it properly. In the mean time I tried to flare the ends of the tubing and replaced the hose with a longer hose that allows me to double hose clamp the tubing side until I can do a permanent fix. Its just too bad this happened while I'm away from home on a job and need my vehicle to get to work. Anyways thats my story. Hope everyone is doing great.
By the way, my transmission was thrown into limp mode but luckily this happened while I was at idle at the hotel and it protected it self. After topping it off with oil and resetting the limp mode by starting the truck on and off several times, it seems no damage was done to it.

anthonynick29

Dec 21, 2017
Welcome to the forum!
I love Texas, although everytime i visit i try not to speed over 5mph because cops there are so strict.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Welcome to DD.

You can go back with stock or aftermarket cooler. Aftermarket would probably be better since your lines are hacked up. Just need to get some JCI fitting braised on the lines.

Welcome to the forum!
I love Texas, although everytime i visit i try not to speed over 5mph because cops there are so strict.

You must have bad luck. I’m almost always 10mph over. Some small town cop will get ya though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arciniega

Feb 20, 2018
McAllen, TX
Thanks Dozerboy, you are right, might as well go with aftermarket. Although as far as the hoses, I think I'll go with aftermarket also since the factory hose with the factory crimps are still on there and from what I've read, that's another accident waiting to happen.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Down here in the warm weather the hoses seem to last longer. I would suggest sticking with something that is still mostly hardline. It's better then the kits that are mostly flexible. Since you would be brazing new fittings for the cooler you could cut them all off hand have them all done. Then switch out the flex hose to something better. There are some DIYs on here. One about using compression fittings that how I did mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Arciniega

Feb 20, 2018
McAllen, TX
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and thanks for the advice Dozerboy. I'll look for some of those DIY here to help me decide which route to take.

Last edited: