Headers/Manfolds and Up-Pipes?

yellowfindmax

Its Big and Black....
Feb 24, 2011
252/919, NC
Trying to decide between the HSP headers and up pipes, Profab log headers and up pipes and Profab/PPE cast manifolds. What are y'all's opinions? I really wish i could get my hands on a set of Ricks old "Speghetti" Headers. Truck is in my sig, I have high egts due to the lag of the s366 and my big tires.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Gears would help a lot more then manifolds will. Manifolds might help some but that is always up for debate. Some swear by them, some don't.

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Like mentioned above, gears would be the best bet. 38's you can run either 4.56's or 4.88's. I ran 4.56's when I had 38's.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Gears would help but good trans tuning will make a unbelievable difference in your truck. Then when you can put the gears in it if money is a problem.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
If your looking for a major egt reduction then you will be disappointed in manifolds and up pipes. My tow-flo up pipes and lml manifold made no difference in the peak egts. The up pipe def helped out on some spool up. If I your heart is set on having a set then I would go for rick's cast iron. I think over time the cast iron would hold up better than headers.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
S366 lag? Sounds like big tire syndrome to me:roflmao:

If I were to do it again, and they weren't available when I purchased my current manifolds and up pipes, I'd spend my money on the HSP set up.

Reason why is the unitized single plate connected port construction vs having individual rnunners like say, PPE manifolds....

My manifolds aren't true, or square or flat anymore, however ya want to put it. They rock back n forth if you place them on the ground and a straight edge reveals they're no longer even, they warped a bit:mad:

I'm gonna either have to deal with it and constantly check the bolts and make sure they're tight, or have the manifolds milled or decked, whatever it is that will make them "even" again

Having a single plate clamping against the head and keeping the runners all connected like how HSP builds them would keep anything from twisting and warping from heat cycling

To echo everyone else, Gears will help the most in your case. I'm only running 35's and I upped my gears to 4.11 and couldn't be happier:thumb: they helped in every way.

cntry125

Gearhead
Sep 7, 2008
Wisconsin
limited slip if it sees any kind of icy/slick road conditions. I had a grizzley, and while I never got stuck, it was a pain to drive in any kind of slick weather. I know there is a pretty in depth thread started by hot coalco here somewhere, on this topic

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Gears it is then. My g80 is shot anyway. What's everyone's opinion on a locker vs. a more heavy duty limited slip?

I used an Eaton DETROIT TruTrac and I friggin love it :thumb:

Evidence of my joy and how well it works are in my sig pic :cool:

Last edited: