Head gasket repair done. Am I wrong to be unhappy?

citadel

Jan 2, 2008
TN
So I finally got my truck back from the shop for a head gasket repair. It was totally needed. It cost me about $4500.00. I provided the gaskets and studs (100 per hour at 30 hours plus machine work and misc parts). Truck runs fine, no obvious leaks noticed. It's the small things that I'm finding. Missing bolts on non critical parts, using green coolant when I had the pink stuff in, cross threaded battery connection, belt not routed correctly, wire harness not cleaned up nicely, etc. Nothing wrong that will stop the truck from running. They told me two weeks, ended up being almost four. I would complain, but dont want them to keep the truck any longer than they've had it. I will probably spend the next couple weeks fixing the things I've noticed so far. I would have done this myself (I've done everything on my truck, including a xmsn rebuild) but just dont have time anymore as my work keeps me busy. Just a bit frustrated after spending so much money. Thanks for letting vent.

duramaxnate

Professional Amateur
Feb 18, 2014
Norco, CA
www.mcfooracing.com
I would make a list of all the things you find and demand money back for each and every one.

Agreed. That is very unprofessional. when you get your truck back it should look like it was NEVER touched.

I bet you they let it sit and panicked to get it back to you. Seen it before.

I would document everything with detailed pictures and make them explain it. If you know bolts weren't missing and such you can hold them for it, to what extent? not sure about your laws for this kind of stuff in your area.

Don't wait too long to take action.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
This is why I am very careful about choosing who works on my vehicles. There are too many hacks out there....

Do what the guys said to. ^^^

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Sucks, but generally it's not worth the time. Just take future business elsewhere.

They will probably fight returning any money if those things don't hinder the operation of the vehicle. But if they can't get the little things right, who says the rest is?

hetzler_l33

Jan 4, 2017
The great Tuscaloosa, Alabama
That’s too much time and money you gave them for all the little details to be wrong. I’d at least document every thing that you’ve noticed wasn’t missing before or isn’t the same anymore and take it to the shop. Tell them everything you’ve noticed and that you’re upset that after all that time and money, there was sloppy and unprofessional work done.

As for the coolant, I’d have them flush it and refill with the dexcool since that’s what you want, the customer is always right.

It’s the details that count the most, no matter what circumstance.

Just what I’d do if it was me

Aug 31, 2018
That’s too much time and money you gave them for all the little details to be wrong. I’d at least document every thing that you’ve noticed wasn’t missing before or isn’t the same anymore and take it to the shop. Tell them everything you’ve noticed and that you’re upset that after all that time and money, there was sloppy and unprofessional work done.

As for the coolant, I’d have them flush it and refill with the dexcool since that’s what you want, the customer is always right.

It’s the details that count the most, no matter what circumstance.

Just what I’d do if it was me

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Not putting things back or missing little things is a sloppy mechanic or a newb.

The added time I’ll be money was due to the machine shop.

I highly highly highly HIGHLY suggest you find out for sure if they actually flushed your cooling system with water, the heater core and drained the block of all its water before putting green coolant in. That shit will gel so damn fast and plug shit up like nobodies business. I personally would be pisses about that fact. Dexcool works and last longer than the typical green stuff

citadel

Jan 2, 2008
TN
Thanks for all the responses. I'm definitely gonna go through it and at least document everything I can find. I'll probably just drain and flush the coolant myself, that way I know it's done properly. Most of the delay was due to the machine shop, some of the last minute delays were due to unfamiliar mods. Like the mechanic spent many hours installing my DHD y bridge. Overall, I wish I would have just done it myself.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Make sure all that coolant comes out then and pull the pass side block drain. It’s just behind the starter and can be gotten to with a wobbly and stubby socket.

Aug 3, 2013
Arizona
The two things that would get me heated would be the fact that they used green coolant, and that the belt routing is incorrect. A shop that cant figure those two things out shows no pride in the work they do.

citadel

Jan 2, 2008
TN
Well, gonna take her back to the shop today. Only drove it once since I picked it up on Friday. This morning, drove it out to the park and she starts smoking from the engine compartment. Parked it and found the injector return line closest to the firewall on the passenger side is leaking steadily onto the exhaust manifold. Probably didnt install it right.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
4 weeks for a hg job? That alone isn’t acceptable. Even with the machine shop time. For that kind of money I’d be pissed and going back mad and wanting the wrongs righted on their dime and in a timely fashion.

citadel

Jan 2, 2008
TN
Truck is back at the shop. They're saying it's a busted clip on the new return line. I pointed out everything and they're going to fix it on their dime, including a coolant flush with dexcool. I'll pick it up tomorrow and will update after.

Aug 31, 2018
Well, gonna take her back to the shop today. Only drove it once since I picked it up on Friday. This morning, drove it out to the park and she starts smoking from the engine compartment. Parked it and found the injector return line closest to the firewall on the passenger side is leaking steadily onto the exhaust manifold. Probably didnt install it right.

So irritating. I’d be torn between wanting them to fix it cuz I payed good money, and knowing after all I found, I should rip it apart and do it myself like I should have in the first place.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Well, can't hardly complain too bad if they're willing to make it right. Sucks for both but that's about the best they can do to fix a wrong.... if they actually get it fixed up right for you. :thumb: