Grid Heater Not working

GMC 08

Aug 2, 2010
St. Charles, MN
Did a search and could not find the answer. Can EFI live disable the Intake Heater Grid or does it just block the CEL? My heater grid is not working and want to make sure it is not tuning related before looking into it. Thanks!

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
You can disable the intake air heater and/or glow plugs with tuning, as well as disabling the diagnostic codes for them. However, your tune should not have disabled it unless you explicitly asked for it to be disabled (i.e. if you had deleted it).

GMC 08

Aug 2, 2010
St. Charles, MN
I installed a Sinister EGR delete kit and had my Tuner disable the CELs for the Intake heater. This was back in spring. It’s cold here now (Minnesota) truck starts hard, plus I did not like the Sinister intake tube so I put the stock intake tube back on. Guessing my tuner disabled the grid heater rather than just block the CELs. I’ve requested to get my tunes updated so we will see if that fixes the problem.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
The grid heaters just for emissions not going to help your truck warm up much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
I installed a Sinister EGR delete kit and had my Tuner disable the CELs for the Intake heater. This was back in spring. It’s cold here now (Minnesota) truck starts hard, plus I did not like the Sinister intake tube so I put the stock intake tube back on. Guessing my tuner disabled the grid heater rather than just block the CELs. I’ve requested to get my tunes updated so we will see if that fixes the problem.

One way to find out is hook your grid heater back up and see if it starts better...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

04Max

Jul 6, 2009
Florida
If everything was working fine before getting cold outside I would check batteries for the starting problems.

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Additive and a block heater go a long way. If it’s starting hard either the oil is too thick or the fuel too cold or your losing charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMC 08

Aug 2, 2010
St. Charles, MN
It never started hard until I disabled the grid heater. Once the tune is fixed I'll try both ways and see if it makes a difference ( grid heater plugged in and not plugged in) I always use power service diesel additive in the winter. Batteries were replaced last year (OEM batteries). i still need to verify glow plugs are working as well. I just wanted to make sure my tunes were correct before diagnosing to issue.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Power service is literally the worst additive you could use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
First off every pump and injector shop I’ve asked about it has said stay away. It’s very “dry” and does absolutely nothing to protect or lubricate fuel system components.

The only thing it’s good for is anti gel and it’s marginal at that. Did you know that if you add power service to fuel that is at or below cloud point (nearing gel point) it won’t prevent gelling and can actually raise gel point.

Power service has to be added and mixed into WARM fuel for it to be effective. And while it’s always recommended to add your fuel additive to a warm tank of fuel right before you fill your tank I just don’t like the fact that power service can actually cause more problems then it prevents.

I use howes, and stanadyne, has excellent luck. I prefer howes for anti gel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I have used Howes exclusively since they started adding biodiesel to diesel. When that first started back in 09ish it was the only anti gel that was dependable. That change was very hard on a lot of excavation companies for a few years until additives change their formulas.

I haven't had any problems with adding power service to cold fuel down here, but 20s is very cold here. I have thousands of gallons I have to treat at work so I use whatever I can get ahold of quick when the temps drop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Kinda nice to see a complete thread derail. Havent had one of those in a long time. :hehe: