LMM: GM's Conflicting MAP PIDs

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Started out on what seemed like a simple endeavor few weeks ago. Needed to re-scale the MAP sensor slope values using EFIlive on some LMM ECM's so CANbus will report up to 50lbs of boost. Similar to the LLY 5bar MAP mod demonstrated on here many moons ago.

Looks highly unlikely anyone has successfully remapped the LBZ/LMM MAP voltage tables before. LLY for certain, LML maybe, but not on a LMM that I can find. Several claims it can be done, and if money talks & BS walks, why is there cash still burning a hole in my pocket?

Even have several offers offers to help me dig thru the raw bin file for it, but I don't happen to have a unmolested 52628594.bin. If you do, please share one for science.

So what I stumbled onto trying to figure out the feasibility of a mod, there is 2 MAP pids used in this ECM. Most of you likely know that from using EFIlive. What you might not know, there is actually really two different pids for reading the same MAP sensors values. And they don't match up...

First you have your SAE.MAP pid that is used by many OBDII tools and Apps like Torque.
OBD ID: 0x0B - Intake manifold absolute pressure 0 -255 kPa (Absolute)
The Absolute here means our Dec value returned is absolute or the true kPa # without any scaling math. Same as:
BARO - 0x33 - Absolute Barometric Pressure 0-255 kPa (Absolute)

To get a true boost pressure figure you take the MAP value and subtract the BARO value and it equals your true boost. Sound correct??

Second PID we have is what's listed in EFIlive as GM.BOOST2_DMA or MAP2.
MAP2 reports as kPa while GM.BOOST2_DMA is in PSI. But it's the same PID being requested, converted by EFI.
GM ID: 0x84ae Turbo Boost Pressure 0-366 kPa or 0-53.1psi
So I hooked up my packet sniffer and found this one returns its raw values in Hectopascal or hPa. You divide by 10 to get kPa.

This second pid is typically used by calc pids to display true boost values up to like 39psi after subtracting the baro. Everyone still with me?

So I decided to scale both these out at the same time using a bench ECM, potemimoter, and EFIlive. Full sweep between 0-5v. Guess what, they don't match anywhere. At bottom end they are off by 1lb, mid-scale 3lbs, and over 6lbs at point where the OBD pid stops reporting, 37psi or 255kpa.

I even checked the raw data packets to rule out a typo in EFIlive pid files. Nope it all on GM. Check the pics below tell me what I missed..

-K

Attachments

• boost_MAP_voltage.jpg
    boost_MAP_voltage.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 51
  • boost_max_values.jpg
    boost_max_values.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 47
  • boost_MAP_lower.jpg
    boost_MAP_lower.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 43
  • boost_MAP_slope2.jpg
    boost_MAP_slope2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 39
  • boost_MAP_slope.jpg
    boost_MAP_slope.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Any suggestions on who would have a 52628594.bin ??

Being an older non-top-secret OS I would think someone will come off one. I'll put a couple code gurus on picking up where the EFIlive guys left off at. I have an LBZ and LMM ECM in front of me, but lack the correct tool to pull a raw bin file.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Solved

I found a LMM OS raw bin to hack around on now. Then Brayden sent over a cax file yesterday and saved me the trouble.

Anyone need LMM MAP scaling? :thumb:

attachment.php

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Hmm. To bad this couldn't be incorporated into all the efi software.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
They could do it in like 30 seconds if they choose too..

Adding the .cax file manually is not a big deal. However you have to open and re-save your tunes, then rewrite DSP5's cause it didn't show up in that modifed OS when I tested last night. I've got one done to bench test to verify it sticks.

Video of it in action on my marine display. https://youtu.be/9qVf33ps_6E

Last edited:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
You should be able to modify the CAX to work on the DSP5 version as well. If you want to send me the CAX and a stock file, I can take a swipe at it tonight.

Sent from my FlashScan V2

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Thanks for the help Dave. Tested your cax file changes on a DSP5 OS and all seems well. :thumb:

I set a MAP scale to 5v = 1000 and the Map2 pid output values are golden. Max 998kpa and 130psi corrected boost readings on my display. N2k marine displays will only read to 145psi, so close enough for gov work..

:woott:

Attachments

• 20160414_165531.jpg
    20160414_165531.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 20160414_164845.jpg
    20160414_164845.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 19