GM Ponders Reviving 4.5-liter Duramax V-8 Diesel

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
Man I hope they build this in a half ton, I think it would be awesome, I would never need one since I need a 3/4 ton but I have a few buddies that would love this in a half ton. I just want to help them play with it:D

there saying this motor will be over 310hp and 520tq stock? If so with all the technology and new goodies in this motor anyone have a guess what you think you could squeeeze out of it for hp on just a tune/exhaust and stock turbo???

Last edited:

DougSmith

Here is what I think.
2 years ago, I saw a news article from Europe, saying that all the BIG diesel makers were going to up their exports of diesel powered cars to the U.S. by an average of 15 to 20%. That is huge. At the same time, GM announced it was dropping the 4.5 due to being strapped for cash and going to go bankrupt.
So let me think about this, All the other BIg makers in the world see Diesel as huge growth market here, GM has in their possession, a small diesel engine, that could get close to 30 mpg in a half ton chassis, like the truck, and Tahoe/Yukon, and maybe a crossover SUV, AND THEY CUT IT???? WTF WERE THEY THINKING???? They would sell them so fast, the only problem they would have is how to find suppliers to keep up!?!?
So to GM, now that Ford and Dodge are gonna beat you to the punch, I hope you can pull 30mpg plus out of the shipped configuration of the engine, cause if you dont, then it is not going to sell like it would have 2 years ago.

I hope it happens, but with the way GM looks now, they are a bunch of bumbling idiots who get what they deserve.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Here is what I think.
2 years ago, I saw a news article from Europe, saying that all the BIG diesel makers were going to up their exports of diesel powered cars to the U.S. by an average of 15 to 20%. That is huge. At the same time, GM announced it was dropping the 4.5 due to being strapped for cash and going to go bankrupt.
So let me think about this, All the other BIg makers in the world see Diesel as huge growth market here, GM has in their possession, a small diesel engine, that could get close to 30 mpg in a half ton chassis, like the truck, and Tahoe/Yukon, and maybe a crossover SUV, AND THEY CUT IT???? WTF WERE THEY THINKING???? They would sell them so fast, the only problem they would have is how to find suppliers to keep up!?!?
So to GM, now that Ford and Dodge are gonna beat you to the punch, I hope you can pull 30mpg plus out of the shipped configuration of the engine, cause if you dont, then it is not going to sell like it would have 2 years ago.

I hope it happens, but with the way GM looks now, they are a bunch of bumbling idiots who get what they deserve.

Dodge dropped the new Cummins V8 diesel that was suppose to come out.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
They would sell them so fast, the only problem they would have is how to find suppliers to keep up!?!?

I guarantee they wouldnt even sell half as fast as you think they would.

This isnt europe. This is the USA. The cold hard reality is for the most part, no one gives a shit about diesels here.

Just because you and your buddies and a couple hundred people on this forum (who would really appreciate something like this) have cash in hand and would run out tomorrow and buy one if they were released doesnt mean the 100,000 other soccer moms who buy tahoes/suburbans would opt for them. Its all about supply vs. demand, profit margins, and how to make the most money.

ben

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
Here is what I think.

With the ever increasinly tough to meet diesel emissons, they apparently do not see it as a finacially viable option to sell diesel's here, most people will not pay an extra $7- 9k for a diesel in there half-ton or SUV regardless of the mileage it may get, how many miles do you think you'd have to drive to justify the extra change to check off that diesel option? There isn't anything a 4.5 can really do that the current 6.0 gas cant do, except get better mileage. You want more diesel options talk to your congressman and senators pushing these "green" standards.

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I already bought a Denali for my wife, go figure.

I wouldnt worry about it. They would never put it in a denali. I mean come on you think 99% of the denali demographic or customer base would buy a 'yucky diesel'???? ;)

If it goes into ANY non-HD-pickup truck it would be the 2500 suburban, or the half ton pickup truck, thats it. I will eat my shorts if they put it into a half ton tahoe, escalade, or denali. :)

ben

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
They could surely sell em in suburbans. Not for the diesel enthusiasts but for the commercial sector. Example, the Const crew I'm working with now uses suburbans for the bosses & surveyors. They buy 30 new vehicles a year & really want the diesel option back! Now, they aren't a huge company but that's just one example. Add em all up & it has to get close to being a viable option again if they can produce them cheap enough & still have a nice product.

What's the use of a 1/2ton diesel? They're gonna have to be priced similarly to a 3/4ton truck so why not get the towing capacity? Don't mention mileage cause Fords new 6.7 is rocking 23mpg hand calculated spirited driving and 30mpg by controlled analysis reports. That's in a heavier truck than ours to boot.

GM better put the tuning gurus to work on the lml & be dang sure to knock it outta the park & get 20+ mpg stock off the lot or they might just stay on the lot!

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
They could surely sell em in suburbans. Not for the diesel enthusiasts but for the commercial sector. Example, the Const crew I'm working with now uses suburbans for the bosses & surveyors. They buy 30 new vehicles a year & really want the diesel option back! Now, they aren't a huge company but that's just one example. Add em all up & it has to get close to being a viable option again if they can produce them cheap enough & still have a nice product.

What's the use of a 1/2ton diesel? They're gonna have to be priced similarly to a 3/4ton truck so why not get the towing capacity? Don't mention mileage cause Fords new 6.7 is rocking 23mpg hand calculated spirited driving and 30mpg by controlled analysis reports. That's in a heavier truck than ours to boot.

GM better put the tuning gurus to work on the lml & be dang sure to knock it outta the park & get 20+ mpg stock off the lot or they might just stay on the lot!

Mitch check out the ford forums, they arent getting anywhere near that in the real world. ;) :)

Ben

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Mitch check out the ford forums, they arent getting anywhere near that in the real world. ;) :)

Ben

Real world numbers don't seem to be as good as my old LB7 gets, they actually sound pretty close to the LBZ from most reports I've seen of real world numbers hand calculated. 14-15 city, and 17-18 highway.

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
I'm game for one in a 1500HD or whatever lighter chassis they put it in. I rarely if ever use the towing or hauling potential of my 2500HD.

I bought my truck primarily as a hot rod.:D

Also, drop it in a CTS like was projected earlier!

Last edited:

DougSmith

This may not be Europe, but diesels are growing faster than all get out. Go and try to find a VW diesel, let me know what you find.

There are over 3,000,000 bass boats in the US today. Nearly all of them are towed by half ton trucks and SUVs. Of those over 500,000 are semi pro and fish some sort of tournaments being local or state wide.

So you are going to tell me, that NONE of them, or very little of them would buy in the next couple years, a half ton truck or SUV that would get them 20+mpg towing a 6,000lb bass boat?? What part of the world do you live in? Also, how long do you think it would take, if GM spent half as much money on TV ads, if they came out with a half ton truck or SUV, that gets aroung 20mpg towing a 8 to 10,000lb travel trailer? Do you not think that people would go out and do a test drive and see what the fuss is all about? Come on, wake up!

Some Calcualtions are pretty easy. I have a friend that gets 18 mpg on his tahoe on the highway. If said Tahoe got 28mpg and was a diesel, that savings would be on a 35,000 mile per year average, lets see if I do this right, that means that he saves about $3,000 a year on fuel all things being equal, so that mean it would take less than 3 years to pay off the extra on a diesel and have a truck that would easily last 10 to 12 years with some decent preventative mainainence. Now through in some towing, and then all the extra money gets canceled out as once they put their foot on the go pedal towing, they will never own a Gas engine again. Nuff said, Next please!!!

I guarantee they wouldnt even sell half as fast as you think they would.

This isnt europe. This is the USA. The cold hard reality is for the most part, no one gives a shit about diesels here.

Just because you and your buddies and a couple hundred people on this forum (who would really appreciate something like this) have cash in hand and would run out tomorrow and buy one if they were released doesnt mean the 100,000 other soccer moms who buy tahoes/suburbans would opt for them. Its all about supply vs. demand, profit margins, and how to make the most money.

ben

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
im being realistic. Step outside your diesel enthusiast "how could anyone be so stupid as to not want a diesel!?!?!?!?????" shoes for a minute and look at it from a real world point of view. ;)

there is no way a 4.5 dmax in anything would get 20mpg towing an 8,000-10,000lb trailer.

ben

Last edited:

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
im being realistic. Step outside your diesel enthusiast "how could anyone be so stupid as to not want a diesel!?!?!?!?????" shoes for a minute and look at it from a real world point of view.

there is no way a 4.5 dmax in anything would get 20mpg towing an 8,000-10,000lb trailer.

ben

Or 28 empty in a Tahoe. If I didnt care about vehicles and going fast, pulling, and just having power like most people, I sure as hell wouldnt spend the extra coin just get a Diesel, thats how most of America feels eggsack, Ben is right on this one. Most people also have no intention on keeping a vehicle for 10 - 12 years or have any kind of connection or feeling of sentiment towards there vehicles. Most people dont drive 35,000 miles a year in new vehicles, and most wouldnt end up keeping a diesel long enough to break even on the intial price difference, and your forgetting to factor the interest rate on that extra 7,000-9,000 you'd pay for that 4.5l and add that towards the price, most times people dont end up with 0% financing or buying a car in cash.

Last edited: