Front seal change, how much?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Typically, how much does a front seal swap run? How long?
I'm not sure, but if you want to do it yourself, I have a seal installer I could loan you for the cost of shipping there and back.

edit: I believe he's talking about the front main seal. The one that goes into the front cover and seals it to the crank. It's behind the harmonic balancer.

Last edited:

NastyNate

Really fast learner
Jan 15, 2007
Colusa, Ca.
I'm not sure, but if you want to do it yourself, I have a seal installer I could loan you for the cost of shipping there and back.

edit: I believe he's talking about the front main seal. The one that goes into the front cover and seals it to the crank. It's behind the harmonic balancer.

yup, thats it. Sorry guys, Im watching some show on The Learning Channel about a 650lb virgin. What is wrong with me?

NastyNate

Really fast learner
Jan 15, 2007
Colusa, Ca.
yes

wasnt the motor just built? Is it leaking already?

Has been leaking from day one of the built engine. I took it back to installer, because I couldn't locate the leak. Was told it was the front main seal, which is the builders fault. Got it back and it still leaks. Is it possible that the cover could be damaged and seal is not able to seal up. Was asking about the cost because I am trying to figure out my bill. Little surprised.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Has been leaking from day one of the built engine. I took it back to installer, because I couldn't locate the leak. Was told it was the front main seal, which is the builders fault. Got it back and it still leaks. Is it possible that the cover could be damaged and seal is not able to seal up. Was asking about the cost because I am trying to figure out my bill. Little surprised.

either that or he never even replaced the seal...just put it back together with the old seal.

It CAN be done (even tho its a two piece seal and theoretically is destroyed every time you take the cover off) but ive heard of some people reusing it...whether it will work or not...its a crapshoot.

I always replace them. Its like 40 bucks and takes 5 minutes once you have the stuff out of the way and balancer off.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The seal sells for about $28 with shipping from GMPartsDirece.com. The part number is 97209341

It's pretty labor intensive to get to it, but actual install is very easy.

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
A shop will charge you 4 to 5 hours at $65 to $100 an hour depending on their labor rate and how hungry they are, so maybe a little less. Are you sure its the seal there is a lot of stuff that can leak oil in that area? At this point its still the builders responsibility to seal what ever leak you have, or pay for someone else to fix it, or reimburse you some coin. Good luck.

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
I've never understood this... I was alway's under the impression diesel techs get payed by the job, and not the hour... So why do they still charge labor everywhere?

That is the "shop's rate". That covers the building, heating/AC, electricity, etc. etc. Basically all the "overhead". The tech only sees a SMALL portion of that.

Smaller shops (with smaller overhead) can sometimes charge less, but usually they have less tools at their disposal (such as a Duramax front seal installer tool).

delong_1

<< my work
Dec 5, 2008
Arvada, CO
If you don't want to have to worry about it leaking use the tool, im sure when the time comes you could borrow one from anyone including myself.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
If you don't want to have to worry about it leaking use the tool, im sure when the time comes you could borrow one from anyone including myself.

Well I'm tearing the motor down on my spare time now, so the time has come haha. I have borrowed tools before from guys on this site and I appreciate those guys . But if anyone else thinks the same result can be had with a little finesse work with a hammer I can try that.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I put both front and rear seals in with a hammer and punch. I know it's not the right way but i was careful and lucky. Probably mostly lucky :D

Sint frum tha orijinul smert fone

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You can use a hammer and/or screwdriver to get the old seal out once you have the front cover off, but I wouldn't chance it putting it back in. Especially when there are members here, including myself, who will lend you a tool to install it.