FPR issue?

sokr915

Jan 24, 2014
CT
2002 LB7. I originally had a surge at idle and from what i gathered it was the FPR. So i bought one from Pensacola diesel before knowing how terrible they are. Replaced the one in my truck with the Pensacola diesel one and now it sounds like this. Is this just another bad FPR or do I have bigger issues? I am hopeing just a good FPR from Lincoln will fix me issue. I also have new injectors from Lincoln about 2 months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8Tg5u7wnSo&feature=youtu.be

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Still sounds like the regulator but the pump probably should be replaced as well. Have you checked to make sure it would make desired commanded rail pressure and how if does with pressure when driving?

sokr915

Jan 24, 2014
CT
What is the best way to check desired rail pressure? The truck feels fine when driving, just does that at idle.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Use a scan tool that can read pressures and compare desired vs actual. Also take control of pump pressures and ramp up to see if it will produce what you are asking it to do. Check for high vacuum on the supply side for fuel delivery.

sokr915

Jan 24, 2014
CT
I have HP tuners for my Trans Am and it looks like I should be able to read it with that. How close should the numbers be? pretty much dead on?

sokr915

Jan 24, 2014
CT
Sorry for all the questions. What would be ideal idle MPA and full throttle MPA? or if you know PSI i can do the conversion.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Idle MPA should read 35 and WOT would be 160. Psi conversions would be about 5000 at idle and 23000 at WOT. These would be in stock format.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Idle is the FPR. It appeared pretty inconsistent at idle pressures. Can you control the rail pressure with the scan tool and at idle command max pressure to see if they can match at am pressure as well.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
It is the FPR causing the surge. Checking into the condition of the pump further by confirming that it holds max rail pressures at idle and during enrichment wil save you money by changing the pump that comes with the regulator instead of changing the regulator and then finding out the problem is bigger than thought.