Fluid level question

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Mike, I know you always say that the fluid should be at the bottom of the 'full / hot' band when hot and no higher, while the manuals say anywhere in the 'full / hot' band is ok. Just curious why you say only to the bottom. Is it that in a racing application, the fluid can spike hotter than a street driven trans so it needs more room to expand?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Fluid level should be no higher than the middle of the hot grid ( low-high ) at 175 F.
If you run a deep pan than you throw the correct geometry off for measuring fluid level because the deep pans are flat at the bottom and stock pans are tapered. Fluid level in a deep pan should be at the bottom of the hot hash mark and if you live in a warm climate; it should be even lower. Like at the top of the cold hash mark.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Fluid level should be no higher than the middle of the hot grid ( low-high ) at 175 F.
If you run a deep pan than you throw the correct geometry off for measuring fluid level because the deep pans are flat at the bottom and stock pans are tapered. Fluid level in a deep pan should be at the bottom of the hot hash mark and if you live in a warm climate; it should be even lower. Like at the top of the cold hash mark.

Is that with or without a filter lock?

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I'm confused then. Why would the depth of the pan or the shape of the pan change the relative position of the fluid on the stick with the filter and valve body?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I'm confused then. Why would the depth of the pan or the shape of the pan change the relative position of the fluid on the stick with the filter and valve body?

Because the dipstick bottoms out on the pan I believe. So if you make the pan deeper the dipstick will go in furthur since it won't bottom on the pan anymore and it throws off the reading.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Because the dipstick bottoms out on the pan I believe. So if you make the pan deeper the dipstick will go in furthur since it won't bottom on the pan anymore and it throws off the reading.

No, the front of the pan is the same depth. The back of the pan is lowered. The angle has just changed on the dip stick. You actualy need to re-mark the full level on the stick when you switch over to a deep pan.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
That doesnt make scense,the tube bottoms out on the rubber gasket on the dip stick hole,and the dipstick bottoms on the tube so how can it go in further?Im not saying B.S. i just dont understand how it can do this.also ive always tried to keep it at the top of the fluid level because ive always thought the more fluid (and i know if it would make a difference it probably wouldnt be much) the longer the fulid will last quality wise and the more fluid circulated it would be possible to kept just a touch cooler.

baddaddition

Mar 10, 2013
If the dipstick is made to measure an overall depth for the trans at max level and you put a deep sump pan on it the stick still stands. The only purpose of the deep pan is to prevent a high end trans from sucking all the fluid out of the bottom of the pan. I have always laughed at the people that put a high volume and high pressure pumps on a motor. You are hosing the lower end if you put a high pressure pump on a motor because you are just sucking all the fluid out of the pan. If you have a deep sump pan with a high volume pump it will work great together. But if you buy a high pressure pump with the deep pan you are just throwing fluid faster than needed sorry I got on a tangent but then the dipstick level is on a trans in the min. Amount

02 cc/SB 5 in.mbrp
cognito braces sleeves ect.
studs, mouth piece,PPE valve
EFI dsp5 Built trans. custom converter
Dom driveshaft
had a batmowheel...... bad subject

baddaddition

Mar 10, 2013
Sorry missed that bit the min. Level on a trans irragaurdless of the pan needs to remain the same the more fluid you have the lower the temps will be because of the constant reserq of the fresh fluid. Not an expert but common sense no offense mike. Maybe words were taken wrong.lol mike is the god of all gods when it comes to trans so maybe re do the question bud but that is the sense that I can make of it.
02 cc/SB 5 in.mbrp
cognito braces sleeves ect.
studs, mouth piece,PPE valve
EFI dsp5 Built trans. custom converter
Dom driveshaft
had a batmowheel...... bad subject

kaylabryn

May 18, 2012
Mesa, AZ
More volume of fluid will not keep it cooler just take longer to get there. I live in Phoenix area during the summer we start at 120F before we even turn the key. Transmission fluid has a constant expansion rate, when you add more fluid it will expand more. It appears transmission fluid has roughly an expansion coefficient of .07% per degree C. Allison holds 12.7 quarts, so if you start at 100F would be 13.589 quarts at 200F, an increase of .889. Add 4 quarts (PPE pan) you have 16.7 quarts at 100F would then be 17.869 quarts, an increase of 1.169. I agree with Mike you have to take into account the extra fluid by starting at a slightly lower starting point, how much I would listen to Mike he has probably been there done that to some extent. If you don’t trust him heat your transmission to 225F and set the level to top of the hot line.

ceide4489

May 15, 2013
More volume of fluid will not keep it cooler just take longer to get there. I live in Phoenix area during the summer we start at 120F before we even turn the key. Transmission fluid has a constant expansion rate, when you add more fluid it will expand more. It appears transmission fluid has roughly an expansion coefficient of .07% per degree C. Allison holds 12.7 quarts, so if you start at 100F would be 13.589 quarts at 200F, an increase of .889. Add 4 quarts (PPE pan) you have 16.7 quarts at 100F would then be 17.869 quarts, an increase of 1.169. I agree with Mike you have to take into account the extra fluid by starting at a slightly lower starting point, how much I would listen to Mike he has probably been there done that to some extent. If you don’t trust him heat your transmission to 225F and set the level to top of the hot line.

Thanks that makes perfect sense