Allison 5sp: first rebuild = 2 questions

jeffro1976

Aug 26, 2014
Michigan
new poster to site (have viewed for years) doing my first allison 1000 and have 2 questions. 1st is why i'm rebuilding last winter a couple of times on start up it acted as if it was stuck in first for a few min. then normal. About the 4th or 5th time it stopped moving. I shut it off and noticed under truck trans fluid (happened in my driveway) started, checked fluid not that low topped off and was able to drive into garage. Found out leaking from bottom inspection hole in bell housing. pulled tranny 2wks ago expecting cracked TC, Front Seal or bellhousing bolts. All looked ok but the pump bushing looked as if it had welded its self to the TC and I was able to spin it freely in the pump. Assumed that is where my fluid was probably streaming from. Right?

Was going to just do TC and bushing (no $$$ and pump not bad, new bushing tight) but when i seperated the bell housing i found a bunch of plastic shavings in one of the fluid passages. the guy at parts store said it was probably a shredded washer in the TC so i completely tore down to clean. clutches and steels still looked good (250,000 miles). Came into enough $ to rebuild and add transgo kit. which leads to next question (#2) My c2 piston appeared to have a bunch of cracks in it and a patch of heat checking on the side wall most or all of the cracks appear to be cast flash but wanted to replace while out. 01' has pn#29538342 and can not find. replaced with pn# 29539653 no bleed hole can i use this one and do i need to drill the .040 hole?

Last edited: