Famoso: More Test and Tune for Casper.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Casper flunked out at Famoso.

I made a number of changes all at once: gears, converter, locker, ECM tuning, transmission tuning, turbocharger, delete nitrous, etc.

That is never a recipe for success, and I baked up a steamy pile instead.

We spooled great. Got good sixty's - 1.63, 1.56 IIRC, and even perhaps an OK 1/8th ET, with a first pass of 7.1 @ 95 and second of 7.3 @ 78 (lifted way early).

I never got a real 1/4 ET because I was told I was racing 1/8th. But the first pass had 11.2 @ 114 on the board??? I shut down after early since I thought there would be no 1/4 slip.

None of the MPH on these adds up.

But both passes the truck took a dump at 330' feet, coughed, vibrated, bursted.

I could have run it one more pass, but elected not to since I did not have a clue what was the truck was up to. Didn't want an ugly surprise, and have no intention of seeing if the fire jacket actually works! :D

I had a great time and I would like to thank:

Diesel World - who started it alll.
NADM - the umbrella org and staffing
Famoso - for putting up with us.
Tim and the rest of the CompD crew.
All my friends and fellow diesel lunatics for making it a great event.
Robert, my friend and wrench, Dan from PPE, and Ralph for pit crew duties.
And the diesel fans for showing the track that diesel jockeys are serious racers.
Of course a big hug to Tom and Allison for putting up with Mom and Dad's racing.

Hopefully we will find the gremlin and squish it shortly.

Kat set a new best of 12.65 @ 105.x in Wendy due in part to the Banks Ram Air intake, but that's a different story. :D

partsguy662

blowup doll salesman
Aug 14, 2006
Glad you guys had a good time at least, Pat...Sounds like it was a relatively drama-free event..:cool:

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
It was a great time by all and for me seeing Casper run first in real life - you were still haulin the mail :D

I have a vid of your 8th run @73mph if youd like me to post it up.

Pat go ahead and post the video.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
The RPM's on the freeway drop 200. So if you were at 2000, you are now 1800.

The 3.42's work well in an unladen truck. Kinda like running 33" tires. Same effect.

I finally got to look at the video and I can already tell where to look first: The intake system, probably the turbocharger. Lots of fuel with no air makes black smoke and rattling/coughing.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Casper the tow vehicle :rofl:

towvechicle.JPG
:rofl:

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
Good Luck Pat, you'll get it figured out.

How do you like the 14" M and H's front and rear? Looks like it's taking a little harder bite based on the video.

THe Orange truck certainly struggled to get outta the hole, track prepped good?

Last edited:

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Whatd the other guy lose, did anyone ever figure it out? Front D-shaft?

Not me, I was in the pits, the way they made sound over the PA system I thought it was Pat and I was going to get him with the tow stap and golf cart.

I was shocked to see him coming down the return road.