exhaust question

Barlow

Barlow
Apr 19, 2009
Mississippi
my buddy has a 6.0 powersmoke.. and he cut his muffler off and ran striaght exhaust. at idle it sounds sweet! almost like a low whistle from the tailpipe, similar to a turbine sounds. Will our trucks sound the same?

Lb7KID

ZoomZoom
Jan 24, 2010
parker,colo
no. the new ones might whistle a little bit more than the lb7 becouse of the vvt. i wish the lb7 whistled alot more than it does im sure with a big ol sweet turbo on it might be a little bit better. but for the most part iv never heard one that sounded like a jet plane :mad:

01LB7

Feb 18, 2010
Missouri
i have, my buddy's 03 when he had duals on it sounded like a jet, not as much as the 6.0 does at idle, but when he'd get on it, d@mn!!! his truck had a sound all it's own

Last edited:

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Look under your truck and see if it has a Cat... Unless you are a Cali truck you wont have a cat or egr. LB7's sound like a big block to me the rumble real low. My buddy Tanner has a straight pipe 5" turbo back and it sounds nice, but there is little to no turbo whistle. LLY and newer with the VVT have the loud whistle.

deHuncho

Jun 18, 2009
SW Va.
I don't think the newer trucks have much sound at all from the exhaust with the stock turbo, even straight piped, except the "panther" sound. The lb7's rival any other diesel as the loudest out there with no muffler. For an awesome sounding whistle in a dmax check out a cheetah turbo video on youtube. Type in fleece performance, they sound sweeeet.