Help: Exhaust Must Exit Upward

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Well, after being turned away from an NADM race last year because my exhaust wasnt correct, I figure its time to do something to comply. I have a hole in the bed for a stack, but I dont want to lose to tonneau. Removing the tailpipe to install a stack isnt something I want to do on raceday either. So I'm thinking a turn-up (not turnip) will be my best bet. Now comes the problem, I have a welded-on 6" tip. :( There is about 3" of the 5" pipe inside the tip. My initial thought was to use a simple piece of flexpipe and bend it up, but I'm not sure how I'll attach it to the exhaust. The other option is to use a 90º elbow. Then drill through the elbow and use the drain hole on the tip to attach the pipe. Or drill through both the elbow and the 5" pipe, weld a nut on the inside or the turn-up and thread a bolt up through to secure it. I'm lost right now and would like to get it wrapped up before Indy.

What's everyone using? Please post pics if you can!
Thanks!

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Im not sure how open you are to slipping an elbow over that tip and using a band clamp, like I do, but I found this: http://store.airflo.com/al90deel6id.html

6" pipe isnt cheap. Im pretty sure you can find bends like that at large-truck parts stores or shops and you might save some money.

DuramaxPowered

Pushing my luck....
Jan 27, 2008
Monroe, MI
Would an elbow like Tom linked to slip inside of your 6" tip, and slide over the 5" inside. If so, you could weld a couple small nuts to each side of it, and put a 5" clamp on your tailpipe with 2 nuts on that. You could then use 2 springs to hold the tip on.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

DuramaxPowered

Pushing my luck....
Jan 27, 2008
Monroe, MI
Kinda like how it is on my RZR.
Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369578382265.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369578382265.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 113

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I did the welded nut inside the 5" elbow and drill a hole in the bottom of the tip to bolt it in on my dad's truck. I don't have any pictures, but it works great.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Im not sure how open you are to slipping an elbow over that tip and using a band clamp, like I do, but I found this: http://store.airflo.com/al90deel6id.html

6" pipe isnt cheap. Im pretty sure you can find bends like that at large-truck parts stores or shops and you might save some money.

That's not cheap but might be the easiest way to do it. Not really concerned about scratching the tip too much. I'll check the local big truck stores and see what I can dig up. Thanks.

I did the welded nut inside the 5" elbow and drill a hole in the bottom of the tip to bolt it in on my dad's truck. I don't have any pictures, but it works great.

If I cant find a 6" 90º any cheaper than $95, this will be my choice. I think I'll put a flapper on it too.

Me and funk both have regular exhaust and they never said a word at Indy last year.

I didn't have an issue there either. Just wanna be prepared. It was at Numidia that the NADM wouldn't let me run. They didn't have a problem the last 3 years, then all of a sudden they're inspecting exhausts and turning guys away.

DMAX497

Sep 27, 2012
Utah
I have some pipe inside my tip as well where my tip slides over. I got a 5'' 90 degree elbow for about 50 bucks and had some 5'' pipe left over from previous trucks.I cut the elbow and welded a piece in that was long enough to fit inside the tip. The 5" elbow slides over the 5" exhaust pipe sticking out in the tip. I just wiggle it on best I can and give her a few kicks. No problems at all. But I am going to a stack now as switching my exhaust out is VERY easy...

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 70

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Flo pro offers a 4" and 5" pipe. The 5" is 60.00 shipped with the clamp.

null_zps74f2f794.jpg