Engine stand to block bolts

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Incase someone needs to know:
I used Grade 8.8, 12mm X 110mm long 1.75 pitch And a lot of washers:D

That is almost the same size as head bolt but i dont know if I would use it or not? I would feel safer with a lower grade bolt, JMO.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
will they support the motor with heads on it if so i'm using mine :)

They supported a fully dressed engine with big twins, piping and dowpipe:thumb: Just make sure you are bolted to the block and not the rear extension housing. I would never bolt a motor on a stand to the ext. housing. It will break!

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Guys something to consider is that useing a high grade bolt above 8.8 is actually worse as the tensile strenth of a bolt increases the side load decreases the will snap easier

Just something to consider when picking your bolts:)

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
the lower grade bolts will give a little (stretch) whereas the grade 8's will be too brittle.... not sure thats the right word???

Last edited:

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
i don't think there is as much shearing force on those bolts as you think. you are putting a stretch load on them by the motor trying to swing down. if you were supporting it evenly at both ends i think then it would be almost all shearing force.

i will be using my old head bolts and will post up if the doctor has to put a cast on my big toe :) also if i can find a large set or calipers or a very large micrometer i will measure them before and after to see if they stretch :)

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
lbz head bolts will not work ?? head bolt is fine thread and need coarse to thread into the block. oh well didn't let that stop me i pulled the heads with the block on the ground lol

off to the hardware store in the am to get bolts then i get to finish stripping it!

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
i have a pretty stout stand looks like an engine hoist with a rotisserie instead of a crane so bolts and the block casting are my limiting factor :D

off topic; finally got the block to the machinist yesterday afternoon! :thumb:

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Maybe he meant manifold bolts?

Without walking outside I am not sure if the manifold bolts are 12m course thread or not:confused: But even if they were they would not be long enough to work( With my engine stand. ) Maybe without the intermediate plate on, but I doubt it.

cuminstrkmydmax

Sep 10, 2008
North East MD
They must be different on the NBS trucks? Those bolts are only about 2" long on my OBS truck..

Maybe they are- cuz the cross bolts are almost 4'' long, they run from side to side thru the frame rail. There is also about an 1 1/2'' long bolt that comes up from the bottom- thats not the one im referring to though.
-Steven