Engine bay haze after EGR delete LMM

Dstaub22

Jan 29, 2020
So I just did the EGR delete on my truck lastnight (which took a little over 8 hours). I have an obvious boost leak coming from the y bridge flange where the cold side pipe connects, but this morning I noticed a heavy amount of haze coming from the engine bay. Didn’t have a specific area.
And assuming everything was put back correctly, anybody have any idea on what to check for get rid of the haze?

Dstaub22

Jan 29, 2020
Did you use a blocker plate or a completely new up-pipe?

I did the blocker plate. But I’m going to be buying an up pipe soon. Didn’t want to do this job and have it take 8 hours and an extra 2 or 3 for the up pipe

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
I would make sure that the EGR riser isn't cracked, also check to make sure you got a good seal between the blocker plate and the riser. This would be my most suspect area. Another option is it potentially is residue burning off from say leaked coolant or anything else that was spilled.

Dstaub22

Jan 29, 2020
I would make sure that the EGR riser isn't cracked, also check to make sure you got a good seal between the blocker plate and the riser. This would be my most suspect area. Another option is it potentially is residue burning off from say leaked coolant or anything else that was spilled.

So what’s funny about that, is that the blocker plate is home made, and not as thick as the ones you can buy as a kit... I know, what an idiot. But what concerns me, is that the haze is thicker on the driver side which kinda made me
Think other than the up pipe. Do you have any links for just that plate?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
So what’s funny about that, is that the blocker plate is home made, and not as thick as the ones you can buy as a kit... I know, what an idiot. But what concerns me, is that the haze is thicker on the driver side which kinda made me
Think other than the up pipe. Do you have any links for just that plate?

The only blocker plate I know of that you can get outside of a kit is the small one that slides between the EGR cooler and up-pipe riser which it sounds like is NOT what you need. From what I can gather (if it took you 8 hours) you removed the cooler entirely and need a blockoff plate/cap to bolt to the EGR riser provision. If the riser cracked it could be throwing exhaust towards the driver side. Try having someone else start it while you're either underneath the truck or on a top-side creeper (obviously do it safely here) but I think the only good way to do this is via a visual inspection.

Dstaub22

Jan 29, 2020
The only blocker plate I know of that you can get outside of a kit is the small one that slides between the EGR cooler and up-pipe riser which it sounds like is NOT what you need. From what I can gather (if it took you 8 hours) you removed the cooler entirely and need a blockoff plate/cap to bolt to the EGR riser provision. If the riser cracked it could be throwing exhaust towards the driver side. Try having someone else start it while you're either underneath the truck or on a top-side creeper (obviously do it safely here) but I think the only good way to do this is via a visual inspection.

Should I check with the y bridge and CSP? I only notice how bad it sounds when it feels like the turbo is building boost. I’ll try to do that and see what I come up with. Could it also be that the home made plate isnt seated entirely?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
Should I check with the y bridge and CSP? I only notice how bad it sounds when it feels like the turbo is building boost. I’ll try to do that and see what I come up with. Could it also be that the home made plate isnt seated entirely?

Is there a squeal/whistling sound? That type of sound is common with an exhaust leak. Check for black around any connections on the exhaust side as they will also help you find a leak. It could be possible that the plate you have is not sealing perfectly but I believe inspection/observation will uncover your problem especially if this was not a symptom before the EGR removal. A boost leak usually, in my past experiences, sounds like rushing air.

Dstaub22

Jan 29, 2020
Is there a squeal/whistling sound? That type of sound is common with an exhaust leak. Check for black around any connections on the exhaust side as they will also help you find a leak. It could be possible that the plate you have is not sealing perfectly but I believe inspection/observation will uncover your problem especially if this was not a symptom before the EGR removal. A boost leak usually, in my past experiences, sounds like rushing air.

Yeah it’s squealing like a cut pig. I’ll check to see if there’s any signs of soot around the plate

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
Yeah it’s squealing like a cut pig. I’ll check to see if there’s any signs of soot around the plate
Check the bellows on the up pipe. Where it can flex you know? There might be a crack somewhere around them.

Easiest way is to do a cold start and then get in there with your hand and feel all over for air coming out.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Dstaub22

Jan 29, 2020
So I found where the boost leak was coming from. It was coming from the new pipe that connected to the y bridge Wasn’t seated properly thus causing a HORRIBLE sounding leak.

The haze I mentioned earlier.. was from the rerouted coolant line became disconnected pouring coolant all over the hot downpipe burning the coolant, which ended up causing the haze. Reconnected hose and tightened it down a good bit more than it was, and reseated the pipe and gave it a few more Ugg’s duggas and it works perfect and has a tight seal