Emissions delete laws

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
Where is a good place to start to see what the laws are for who can delete emissions equipment? So what do you need to do to prove it is race only and not get hammered? I'm guessing farm use only isn't ok anymore so is there some paperwork you have to do, or is just having no tags on the truck make it ok?
And please no I hate the EPA replies, we have 50 threads where all of you have let it be known that you don't like the laws, so lets keep this one on topic and useful info

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
I would like to know this also even though I don't think it matters anymore because there is all kinds of offroad equipment that has dpf/egr and going to have DEF or already does.

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
Hell, the EPA is requiring catalysts on freaking wood stoves now....

They are proposing to make it illegal in Fairbanks, to use a wood stove without one.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
The removal of any Federal Emissions Device is unlawful in any instance, on or off road. (technically).

You can apply for a waiver with the EPA if you can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is a RACE ONLY vehicle used for competition use and is NOT road registered in ANY way.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Marine use... That gonna be one of your only ways around it. Idk how your ever gonna prove your dmax is for marine use.. lol but it would work

Marine engines are starting to get cat converters for gas engines, so I doubt this one will fly.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
You can apply for a waiver with the EPA if you can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is a RACE ONLY vehicle used for competition use and is NOT road registered in ANY way.

Marine engines are starting to get cat converters for gas engines, so I doubt this one will fly.

Yea a few years back when I was working as a mechanic at a marina there were a bunch of stories of kali boats burning down cause the cats got too hot.

POWDR

Lame
Jan 24, 2013
Timberlakes
I am a wildland firefighter and when emission controls first started hitting our chainsaws, we had all kinds of issues. Oh yeah, we also blow all kinds of saws with eth. Also, certain forests don't allow us to buy premium due to budgets.

I run our saw program and I am always dealing with F'd saws. Yah, it sucks.

Emissions on a chainsaw :confused:

Anyway:eek:fftopic:

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND

Any idea how they prove this? like issue a new title?

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
you're obviously regulated to the year your vehicle was built, so an 02 isn't required to meet the same regulations as an lml.

I've never heard of applying for for an off road certificate, but i assume the first thing they'd ask is if it's plated and registered.

I would imagine with enough digging you could find the answer to your question on the epa's sight.

http://www.epa.gov/lawsregs/regulations/

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
I figured the EPA wouldn't spell out how to get away with deleting that stuff, so I was hoping that someone has already dug into it and figured out what laws you can use to get away with it. I'm small enough that I don't think I will ever get messed with, but I would not put it past them to start calling small shops and see if they can't bait some of them into breaking the law, so I just want to know what the right answer is

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
I know my truck is good, but I need to know what I can and can't do for newer trucks that the guy claims are race only. Now if they drive up with it, I know it isn't, but if the truck shows up on a trailer and no tags, I'm thinking I'm ok (I can't help it if the guy just took the tags off a road truck and called it good). Just trying to figure out what I have to do to not get hit with a 25K fine if the truck happens to be owned by the EPA