Question: egts

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
Is there a gauge i can buy or something to where i can get an accurate reading for them? is it they pyrometer?
Yep...pyrometer lots of folks make them, I would recommend getting something that goes HIGH (2000*). It is no fun to run off the end of scale.

Accurate is relative...think more like close.

I have 2 probes, one on each side, they read about 150*-200* different. I think the left probe is not in the center of the flow path because of the boss on the driver manifold and the length of the probe.

Probe placement is critical in accurate readings, it must be in the center of the exhaust flow.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
X2. Passenger side manifold. Pick a flatter section on the main tube of manifold and drill and tap there. Then check depth and set probe halfway. Same as above statements.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Yep...pyrometer lots of folks make them, I would recommend getting something that goes HIGH (2000*). It is no fun to run off the end of scale.
Why? If you're going to let off when it gets too high, you should be letting off before it ever runs off the end of a 1600 degree gauge. If you don't plan on getting out of it, why does it matter how hot it gets? IMO, the EGT gauge only matters when you're towing.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
I just bought some snazzy digital guages . Pyro , drive pressure, and boost.
Josh is right , pyro is more important if you tow and when you're doing the 1/4 the last thing on your mind is the egt's :roflmao: