Question: EGR/Intake manifold cleanup?

gonemob

FNG - yep that's me!
Jun 27, 2013
St. Louis
Looking for some advice. 2007.7 LMM with a little shy of 140k miles now. At 113,000 CEL and intermittent reduced power message came on. Dealer R/R EGR Valve and MAF and the DTCS cleared.

CEL came on during turkey season with the number 2 glow plug. I only have the little Actron CP9125 code reader, so there isn't a lot of information. Checked codes again and now #2 and #5 glow plugs plus Catlyst, Misfire, Comp and EGR.

I pulled it into my garage to change oil, fuel filter, glow plugs, and while I had it in there I went ahead and pulled off the air inlet tube and have the intake manifold tube exposed to get a look at the EGR.

I've attached the pic. The EGR definitely has some carbon in it, but it seems to move easily back and forth by pushing it with my thumb. But, the air inlet tube and intake manifold tube are really gunked up, obviously. No idea what the EGR cooler looks like inside and I don't think there is any way possible I can get a wrench in the back to remove it myself.

Also, I loosened the top of the tube on the driver side to make it easier to get to the number 2 glow plug and there is visible oil inside the tube. The outside around that fitting above the turbo is pretty well oily and coated.

Here is my question: I really don't want to get into much in the way of mods if I don't have to. If I clear the codes with my little code reader and do a PCV reroute (that I can handle), is there any chance this gunk will eventually burn off and I will get most of the performance back. If not, what's the best path forward and are there any shops/mechanics someone here on the board can recommend in the St. Louis area.

Thanks in Advance!!
Dave

Attachments

• Intake.jpg
    Intake.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 12