ecm differences

MadMaxRacing

Jul 5, 2008
Is there any differences between an 02 and 03 ecm.I swapped an 03 for an02 then the truck would not start .whats the problem???

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Yes,there are differences with the overall setup. There is more to it than just the ecm. Other components of the computer network would require some flashing by a tech2 as well as the ecm to work properly

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
VIN mismatch would be my guess.

As Josh said vin not matching the bcm. Do the relearn turn the key to the run not start for 11 mins turn key off and right back on for 11 mins after that off and on again for the last 11 mins then turn off then start the truck.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You can also reprogram it with EFILive. You don't even have to burn a license to do it.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I've never done it with the scan tool. I've only used the tune tool to program a VIN. I always thought it required a license until I was on EFI's website today and read something that said it doesn't. To program a VIN, open the tune tool, click on "Flash", from that menu click on "PCM Security", when the window pops up, click on "VIN/BCC", enter your VIN in the new VIN spot, and click "Update VIN" on the left side of the window. It's been a while since I've programmed a VIN, so I could be off a little on the steps, but that should be pretty close.

Here's what I read. Hopefully I didn't misunderstand what they were saying.
FlashScan can be used to reprogram the VIN in the engine and/or transmission controllers if desired. Reprogramming the VIN in a controller does not require a license.

Last edited: