dune grappler vs falken wild peak

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
looking at a new set of wheels and tires. 315 70 17's. Nitto dune grapplers or falken wild peak a/t

Im kinda scared the dune grapplers will tear up under power because of the cross tread. Any thoughts?

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I have a set of dunes right now. They seem to be a good tire. I can hook up pretty good compared to before with the lift. I am running the 305/60/18 size to get a good foot print on the road. My son ran them on his gas truck and didn't have any problems anf had pretty good wear on it.

rickettzusaf

Nov 30, 2011
Goldsboro, NC
Had 285/55R20 dune grapplers on my truck when I use to have rockstars. They did fine under power. At the time I had Edge Evo Race running Level 5 and it took a 4 psi boosted launch in 2WD for them to spin. Even when I would stand on it from a stop light, they would just go with no spin. When I got EFI, my 150 tune was the same results. Off the pavement they did just fine in what I could get in out in my area. Which is light offroading. I like them and never had a problem with them.

Battlegraduate09 had the same tires and went to a 305/55r20 Terra Grappler and said he'd rather have the Dune's.

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
Wow, my truck on level 3 any tire Ive ever had wouldnt catch traction for a while. Trail graps get no traction either. But my truck is fairly light. I dont know how you ran level five without building the transmission. Mine started to go after a couple weeks on a 100hp tune

Jscherbs

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Oct 27, 2009
Canton, MI
Had 285/55R20 dune grapplers on my truck when I use to have rockstars. They did fine under power. At the time I had Edge Evo Race running Level 5 and it took a 4 psi boosted launch in 2WD for them to spin. Even when I would stand on it from a stop light, they would just go with no spin. When I got EFI, my 150 tune was the same results. Off the pavement they did just fine in what I could get in out in my area. Which is light offroading. I like them and never had a problem with them.

Battlegraduate09 had the same tires and went to a 305/55r20 Terra Grappler and said he'd rather have the Dune's.

apply more power and report back. :D

ive had goodyear duratracs, cooper zeon ltz's, terra grapplers, bfg at's, bfg kdw2's and none of them hooked up for shit really... my kdw2's obviously hooked up the best but anything over 450hp is going to cut the tire life in half.

i did no burn outs on my new set of BFG at's and ill be lucky to get 25k out of them. its just the nature of the beast when the tire constantly struggles to grab the road. screw it and just hammer down!!!

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
I just ordered a set of Kumho mt's on fuel octanes.. Ill give a status on them once I try them out.

rickettzusaf

Nov 30, 2011
Goldsboro, NC
I have a transgo jr. Had a solenoid stick and had the dealer replace it with a new one under warranty. Havent had a problem since. (knock on wood).

When I had my truck leveled with the Dune's and they were at 75 psi on a day that was 98 degrees and I stomped on it below 35, once it spooled they lost traction briefly. Lowered them down to 55-70 psi and they wouldn't do it then runnin 5.

Once I lowered the tbars down all the way and put 3 inch drop shackles in running same level, 75 psi, and that day was 101 they would not spin.

I now have the truck lowered 3/6 and have 265/70/17 bfgoodrich rugged trail t/a with 6/32 tread left. I have EFI with 1) mileage tune/hot street 2) mileage tune/125 hp 3) tow tune w/brake 4) 150 hp 5) 175 hp. With tune 2 and 4, I havent been able to spin the tires unless its a 2wd boosted launch. I think that it may be that the truck is lower now and that somehow effects it. Not really sure but thats ok. I dont need to shread money.

Post pics up when you get them on. :thumb:

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
My last set were E rated and they are probably easier to break lose than D's running lower pressure. I hope so anyway because my truck is 2wd haha.

Running 35's is alot harder on a trans even with a transgo jr. I should have my transmission done within the next month and a half depending on when I can get ahold of Mike L's new converter. Then i will test out these tires and be more critical of the details.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I just ordered a set of Kumho mt's on fuel octanes.. Ill give a status on them once I try them out.

you will be lucky to get 20k out of those. the tread is super soft and easliy cups. they wear very fast

unless you run a street tire (like the falkens zenix or the other one everyone runs), hook up isnt gunna be all that great. MT tires were never ment to be drag race tires, nor ATs or any other all terrain tire. ive heard good things about the dune grapplers with hook up and how they hold under power. the longest lasting AT i had were procomp extreme all terrains but the tread compund is hard and does not hook up that well, they jsut wear like iron. The KM2s i have now have 30k on them and about 1/4 tread left. after the motor is done, ill be lucky to get another 5k out of them but thats the joys of discount tire warrenties ;)

iPhattMatt

Looking for a new job!!
Sep 2, 2011
Moorpark, CA
I had a set of those Falkens and I hated them. They had no traction in the rain, when I had to jam on my breaks in dry conditions I would lock up the breaks and have to do some extreme maneuvering even when there was plenty of room in front of me to stop on any other set of tires. Every time I would make a turn it seemed like it was going to be my last turn.
The only time I really liked them was when an ice storm hit San Antonio last winter. I had to try to break traction on the ice.
I had them on my 03 Tundra for about 5k miles before I sold the truck and jumped in my Dmax. Personally, I will never get another set of those. It felt safer to walk than drive.
(This is just my experience)

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
you will be lucky to get 20k out of those. the tread is super soft and easliy cups. they wear very fast

unless you run a street tire (like the falkens zenix or the other one everyone runs), hook up isnt gunna be all that great. MT tires were never ment to be drag race tires, nor ATs or any other all terrain tire. ive heard good things about the dune grapplers with hook up and how they hold under power. the longest lasting AT i had were procomp extreme all terrains but the tread compund is hard and does not hook up that well, they jsut wear like iron. The KM2s i have now have 30k on them and about 1/4 tread left. after the motor is done, ill be lucky to get another 5k out of them but thats the joys of discount tire warrenties ;)

Thanks for the input, ill still test them out.. My plan was to get another two wheels/tires and a tire gate to hold them so if these dont hook up Ill get two dune grapplers instead. They dont make a 35 inch r17 street tire do they?? But my logic was a softer compund and less on the road should get more force to the ground. Tire life is never good if you run them hard but my truck isnt my daily driver now.

ChevyTruck

Boats an Hoes!
Oct 19, 2011
Newark, De
I had the Dune Grapplers on my 02 1500 and they did okay. I only got maybe 25,000 miles out if them. Of course they rocked on the beach but sucked in the snow. Also they did olat in the mud, never got stuck. They do look awesome on the truck because of the side wall design.

I ran both 285/70/16 and 305/75/16 on my old truck. I would get them if you don't see any snow but that's just my opinion. ;)

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thanks for the input, ill still test them out.. My plan was to get another two wheels/tires and a tire gate to hold them so if these dont hook up Ill get two dune grapplers instead. They dont make a 35 inch r17 street tire do they?? But my logic was a softer compund and less on the road should get more force to the ground. Tire life is never good if you run them hard but my truck isnt my daily driver now.

you want a tread that is gunna "flex" some when throttle is applyed. mud terrain tires have almost no flex in the tread blocks (specially those kumhos). If you want a sticky mud terrain tire, find some BFG KRAWLERS from some rock buggys and put them on. they will be your absolute best 35" tire to hook on the street, specially if you groove them. they wont last very long though.

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
new kumho m/t's on Fuel Octanes. Extremely quiet for the tread pattern and I get better traction than with BFG's, trail graps, and terra grapplers. They probably dont live as long due to a softer compound but I like them so far.

Attachments

• dmax1.jpg
    dmax1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 8