Drag racing help, time slips included

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
Nothing wrong with your slips that I see other than an inconsistent launch (60' times). ET never starts until you leave the beams, that's normal. If you get to do any qualifying passes just pick an RPM or boost level to launch at that you know you won't spin too much and can repeat. If you don't get any qual passes do the same thing anyway, just pick something. Don't worry about going as quick as you can. In my opinion, trying to kill it off the line every time is recipe for disaster for bracket racing. In my LMM I just put the tach at 2k rpm and let it go. Easy to see, easy to repeat, and very consistent.

Best three passes for me using that technique that I remember resulted in 12.613, 12.612, 12.611 back to back to back. Truck would run high 12.4x if I hit it harder. Who cares though, you're there to win.

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
Make your two qual passes and set your dial based off those results. Remember as hot as its going to be your truck will get faster as the night goes on and it starts cooling off outside. Be consistent on the tree and don't be afraid to use your brakes at the end of the track if your way ahead of the other guy.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Make your two qual passes and set your dial based off those results. Remember as hot as its going to be your truck will get faster as the night goes on and it starts cooling off outside. Be consistent on the tree and don't be afraid to use your brakes at the end of the track if your way ahead of the other guy.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

That's what I never understood either, why do people slow down at the end when bracket racing? Don't you also leave the line at different times so you can't judge your time off the other truck?

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
That's what I never understood either, why do people slow down at the end when bracket racing? Don't you also leave the line at different times so you can't judge your time off the other truck?

If both lanes run right on the dial in times you will cross the finish line at exactly the same time assuming identical reaction times. If one is way out front something went wrong for one or the other. Either somebody got the poop treed out of them, one is going slower, or the other is going too fast (break out).

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
Try to shed any access weight you have. Give it more tuna! Add a brother from another motha! If you can get your trap speeds up to 105-106 you will have more room for error on the runs & once figured out will have better e.t it looks like the truck is running consistent @ 98-99 mph. What is the weight of the truck with you in it? I ran my lb7 down there and was running 104 mph and clicking 13.0x off. It had the spare tire dropped and tailgate removed. Not that light but it isa daily driver stock fuel & stock charger. I am sure you have plenty more wick to burn in your truck!

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Try to shed any access weight you have. Give it more tuna! Add a brother from another motha! If you can get your trap speeds up to 105-106 you will have more room for error on the runs & once figured out will have better e.t it looks like the truck is running consistent @ 98-99 mph. What is the weight of the truck with you in it? I ran my lb7 down there and was running 104 mph and clicking 13.0x off. It had the spare tire dropped and tailgate removed. Not that light but it isa daily driver stock fuel & stock charger. I am sure you have plenty more wick to burn in your truck!

I'll shed some weight today :) not sure how much it weighs with me in it

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Bump. Anyone have an idea of what I should dial in at from those runs? And can I change my dial in time before each pass? Or do I pick it once and then it's that number for the whole night?

Thanks in advance,
Caden.

I'm thinking of around the 13.5 area and not launch hard every time, just take it easy

A. Stock Lbz

Aug 13, 2013
spokane wa
Once you dial in. that is the number you have to run closest to you can not change the number every run. You should get a couple qualifying passes and that is what you set your dial in off of. So if you run the best of 13.50 put a dial in of 13.45
so you can still run your truck hard every pass and let off if you are way ahead.

fishsmith

May 14, 2008
Monroe, LA
Once you dial in. that is the number you have to run closest to you can not change the number every run. You should get a couple qualifying passes and that is what you set your dial in off of. So if you run the best of 13.50 put a dial in of 13.45
so you can still run your truck hard every pass and let off if you are way ahead.

Every track I have ever been to you can change your dial between runs. If the weather changes or track conditions change it might pick up or slow down.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
I hate bracket racing but if you want to win load your stock tune and pick an RPM to leave at. Who gives a shit if you run 15s as long as you can do it repeatedly. Almost every event I've ever been to has had a slow/stockish vehicle win the brackets.

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010
RPM is more consistent IMO.

I have never looked at the boost gauge or RPM while I race tho. I just go by the feel of the truck and that has done much better for me and won me quite a bit of trophies.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I hate bracket racing but if you want to win load your stock tune and pick an RPM to leave at. Who gives a shit if you run 15s as long as you can do it repeatedly. Almost every event I've ever been to has had a slow/stockish vehicle win the brackets.

X2 that's what I did when I bracket raced the GMC. Smallest tune ran 14.20's @ 102

fishsmith

May 14, 2008
Monroe, LA
You have to beat them but not break out(run faster than your dial) you want to barely be ahead don't take too much stripe.