Down pipe install

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
There are 3 or 4 bolts on the turbo heat shield. Pull them, the just move it off to the side (up and out a bit). Then you can access the 7/16 v-band bolt from the pass side. It comes up from the bottom so you may have to feel around for it. Once you get the band loose (I took it completely off the clamp area), you will have to both twist and pry on the down pipe at the same time to get it out of the turbo. It is easier if you pull the inner fender and the cat or cat delete pipe out and pull the trans dip stick up so you can move it around to get it out of the way. I would suggest that if you are doing a cat delete you have it ready at the same time as getting the cat out is a PITA.

Once you have it dislodged from the turbo, let gravity do its job while just twisting. To put the new one back in, sand the coating off of the turbo mating stub (get all of the coating or you will curse it heavily) and file the edge a bit so that there is no sharp corner on the chamfer. It helps to have 2 people for the reinstall as twisting while pulling from the top is a bit of a challenge.

The first one took me about 2.5 hrs, the second took me 1 hr.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
X2
Remove the fender liner, remove heat shield, relieve v band, the downpipe pulls striaght back while wiggling, i used my right hand up at turbo pusshing straight back and my left hand at the bottom of the downpipe wiggling up and down, a few taps doesnt hurt to break it loose. When re installing i like to use anti seize coating on the turbo mating surface, and i never re install the heat sheild...
Removing the downpipe takes about 20 min, installing it takes about 20 min, fender liner and all should be about a 45 min job