Info: Door Hinge

ruffmanatv

Yeah, its got a D-Max!
May 9, 2008
Van Wert, OH
Yes GM should have an updated door hinge for your truck. My old 01 got them replaced. Not for sure what the part number is though.

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
I found a kit at local parts store by HELP/Motormite kit comes with everything to do one door. I'll post some pics when I do it.

heymccall

Aug 24, 2009
How I did mine...........

1. Roll the window down.
2. Remove door sill plate (pull straight up, starting at the front)
3. Remove kick panel (1st, pull firewall edge of the kickpanel towards the center of the truck to release that edge, then pull the pillar side of cover toward the rear of the truck)
4. Undo rubber accordian in in the hinge area by rolling the edge on the A-pillar away from the A-pillar.
5. Depress the two tabs on the white plastic insert (revealed in step 4) and slide it up the harness toward the door.
6. Now unplug the door harness that was made accessible in step three and pull it out thru the hole in the A-pillar.
7. Place the door halfway closed and remove the 10mm headed bolt on the door post that holds the door check.
8. Open the door fully and remove the single 10mm headed bolt in each hinge.
9. Standing in the door opening, grab the inner door grab/armrest and lift the door straight up and carry it away.
10. Follow the instructions in this kit that you will have prepurchased https://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-b...tegory_list=:0
11. Reinstall door by reversing the above proceedure.

Steps 1-9 can be accomplished by me in less than 7 minutes, and I've only ever had the '99 and newer doors off 6 times.

Unfortunately, it all sounds easy on paper, but I just did an '05 and where you see those splines on the new pins, this one had the holes egged out so that new pins were sloppy (and still allowed door sag). Plus, I think I may not have mentioned that the original pins are staked in place and need cut and the pressed out. Plus, I couldn't buy the center of the hinge (where the holes egged), so I ended up welding the new pins to that center section (and they had to be done on the truck).

What I'm saying is, rock the door against the "open" stop and see if the "pins" themselves wobble. Then decide if you're "game".