LLY: does an LLY have a DPF?

nick1camper

Aug 7, 2008
Southern Iowa
Hey guys. Recently sold my LB7 and upgraded to an LLY. I was wondering, does it have a DPF or is what I am seeing in the exhaust just a cat? Also, If I remove the front pipe can it be replaced with one from an LB7?

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
No an LLY doesn't have a DPF. Yes the weird can thing on the front pipe is a catalytic converter. Can't answer the one about LB7 downpipe though. Hope that helps

nick1camper

Aug 7, 2008
Southern Iowa
Cool. Will it make a difference in the way it runs or the mpg if I remove it? I think I can get my hands on a stock LB7 pipe that doesn't have the cat. If it won't help I won't worry about it though.

KEVINL

Jul 4, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
the cat is the biggest restriction so it will make it run better but I think you will get a code. might need a finger stick

Someone else will know for sure.

nick1camper

Aug 7, 2008
Southern Iowa
the cat is the biggest restriction so it will make it run better but I think you will get a code. might need a finger stick

Someone else will know for sure.

IC. I have been thinking about an EGR block off plate and a finger stick as well. May as well get it done! Thanks for the info!

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
mbrp also sells cat delete front pipes for a little over 100 bucks...

rarely will you get a code but it is possible....i would do the egr block and cat delete and if it throws a code then get the fingerstick....n my experience ive found that most dont unless its a cali or MA truck.

and yes it is worth ditching the cat... that makes more of a difference then the whole rest of the exhaust IMHO

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
i run with a cat an no muffler first....sound changed only a little..egts barely moved either.

dumped the cat and it was a whole different ball game....just what happened in my case..

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
for a moment i forgot these things have all tha garbage:D

Me too. I don't even remember what all that stuff did when I ripped it off. I took all that out day 2 after delivery.

If you take the CAT out I think you might get a 0404 and a 0401 code (I can't remeber). It will not set the CEL but they will be in there forever. Maybe if the truck is a CA truck it might set the CEL.

Triple L

Lots of learning
Dec 4, 2009
Kitchener, ON
Myn popped a code immediatly... Went to the drag strip and made a couple passes and it disappeared and never came back on... Seems like ripping on it made it recalibrate....

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Me too. I don't even remember what all that stuff did when I ripped it off. I took all that out day 2 after delivery.

If you take the CAT out I think you might get a 0404 and a 0401 code (I can't remeber). It will not set the CEL but they will be in there forever. Maybe if the truck is a CA truck it might set the CEL.

Exactly. If it's a Federal Emissions truck (it would have FE9 on the RPO tag), it may set codes but shouldn't set a CEL. If it's a CA/NE truck (RPO NE1), it'll probably set codes and a CEL.

nick1camper

Aug 7, 2008
Southern Iowa
Well, my truck is an Iowa truck and pretty sure it has been all it's life. I think I will start with taking the CAT off first and see how it goes. Then the block off plate will be next. I know a guy who has a stock LB7 exhaust so for simplicity I think I will see if he will part with the front pipe so I can just bolt it on in place of the CAT front pipe I have. Hopefully it will bolt right in.... :D

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
JUst so you know. A full 4 inch exhaust usually goes for under 300 bucks. It's probably easier to just buy a full exhuast and install it and you'll have a good system

nick1camper

Aug 7, 2008
Southern Iowa
JUst so you know. A full 4 inch exhaust usually goes for under 300 bucks. It's probably easier to just buy a full exhuast and install it and you'll have a good system

Too late... I swapped out the front pipe/cat for an LB7 pipe I got from a buddy. Worked perfect, no lights or codes so far. 40 miles since.

I know I can get 4" for it fairly cheap, but I really don't think I will need it. It seems to run good enough the way it is! Gotta love them Dmaxes! :thumb: