Disneyland Resort

DmaxHawk

Ranch with my Salad
Oct 28, 2008
the 575
Has anyone stayed at one of their hotels for a trip? They are pretty nice but expensive as hell. Good experiences? Bad experiences?

For the last 2 years we've gone to LA (my hometown) for spring break. Last year (spring break 09) the girl and I visited Disneyland for 2 days. I used to go there as a child a lot, and since she has never been, I grabbed the opportunity to take her and she absolutely loved it. We had to get up at 7am at our hotel in Glendale and travel 40 minutes (~37 miles) to Disney to make it in the park by 9:30am. On the way back, we averaged over an hour and thats cutting through back streets (highway was bumper-to-bumper)
For 2010, I really want to stay closer to the resort and am considering staying at one of Disney's hotels. Been looking at the Grand Californian and dang I'm tempted. Private entrance to park and all. For 8 nights it comes out to $5588:eek::eek::eek::screwy: Then I started thinking about all the costs incurred from staying at the hotel last spring break and the following is how it breaks down so far...

Glendale
Travel Distance: ~460 miles from hotel to Disney for 6 days
Fuel: LA's traffic is not going to give me 20mpg. So, all the fuel for driving the 460 miles
Time: In travel time alone, it adds up to 8 hours which constitutes a full day at the parks (depending how tired you are)
Parking: It costs $20 to use parking at the park each day.
Tickets: $254 per person for 6 days=$508 for myself and the girl

Disney
No travel distance: Once I get there, the truck stays still for about a week.
Fuel: Truck isn't moving so no fuel
Time: No time wasted in travel
Parking: One time hotel parking lot cost
Tickets: it costs $63 to upgrade from a 2 day ticket to a 6 day ticket.

Then theres a bunch of other stuff such as meal plans and crap like that.

So my thinking right now is that, yes it is expensive, but several of the costs of staying at Glendale are absorbed by Disney's high price.

As for expedia and all those other travel websites, some are the same price and some are cheaper but I still have to get all the tickets and such for that $254.

Disney does offer a 10% discount though so thats good :happy2:

Have any of you stayed at one of their hotels? Lets make this the Disney vacation thread. Help me feed my nostalgic memories of this place :baby:

Sal

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Isnt there plenty of hotels close to the property? At least a 10 minute drive?

google, there is tons of info on there what people think and do about a trip like that.

I dont think Id pay 5k for a trip to disneyland lol. Especially if I lived in Ca.

DmaxHawk

Ranch with my Salad
Oct 28, 2008
the 575
Isnt there plenty of hotels close to the property? At least a 10 minute drive?

google, there is tons of info on there what people think and do about a trip like that.

I dont think Id pay 5k for a trip to disneyland lol. Especially if I lived in Ca.

Ya there are, they are called "good neighbor hotels" a hell of a lot cheaper. I am looking at those but the thing that gets me is the private entrance lol.

Well if I lived in CA, I would get a Ca. resident discount lol. Hey wanna order my vacation package for me Mike? :D

Last edited:

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Ya there are, they are called "good neighbor hotels" a hell of a lot cheaper. I am looking at those but the thing that gets me is the private entrance lol.

Well if I lived in CA, I would get a Ca. resident discount lol. Hey wanna order my vacation package for me Mike? :D

I live in Las vegas, Not ca. I thought you lived in Ca.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Stay directly across the street @ one of the hotels and save a crap load of money. I forget the name of the one We stayed at last, but it had a Mcdonalds in the same parking lot. It was a pretty nice place and a good price.

cookwa

May 5, 2009
I've stayed at the Grand Californian and in my opinion, it's worth it especially when you have kids. If someone gets tired, you're right at your hotel. If you want to go to the pool, you can go to the pool and then go back to the park in a matter of minutes. You also get early entrance into the park when you stay at one of the Disney hotels. Last year we rode on the Matterhorn 4 times in about a half hour. It really allows you to utilize the park fully at your convenience. Also, you are right at Downtown Disney where there are great restaurants, shops etc. Very convenient.

Bill

WanaDmaxsub

Junior Member W/gray hair
Feb 17, 2007
We just hook-up the trailer and go...
So far there has been a campground with-in 30mins of every park we have gone to. Disneyland was only a 10min drive!

NemesisDP

Apr 20, 2008
Bloomfield New Mexico
It was nice when the kids were little and we could just go back to the room so they could take a nap and then head right back in. Was a nice stay and got a lot of free stuff and discounts for stuff in the park. Our next stay we get like 20% off since we have stayed there before. Worth the money if the kids are little they will never forget it. You can get them bedtime stories from all the disney characters. Get on Southwest Dingfare and get good prices on flights or look up packages for the park you can save a lot of money with package deals.

DmaxHawk

Ranch with my Salad
Oct 28, 2008
the 575
Thanks for your input guys, I'll have to do more research and see what I come up with. How long did you guys stay there?

dmax lb7

EFI Ignorant
Feb 21, 2008
Rohnert Park Nor-Cal
I just got back from Disneyland 2 days ago. We went trough getawaytoday.com. prices were good. Stayed at the Marriot across the street. Mc D's in the parking lot. 5 min walk to the park. Free parking, comfortable beds, pool, and real nice staff. Something like $850 for 4 nights stay & 3 day park hopper pass for three of us. You really wont be at the hotel much, so I would save your $ on hotel, you'll use plenty of it in the park.