Data Loggers

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
for example, the Corsa Data Logging system... anyone using one on a Duramax???

If not, is anyone effectively data logging other parameters with external inputs via EFI Live. I know several have said they were going to and have even set up Calc PIDs to do so but I don't know of anyone that has been able to follow through with it and have it recording/working accurately/correctly.

C-ya

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Mith I went with the auotmeter nexus gauges and a SD card.

Im not sure that it will work or be accurate or even have a fast enough sample rate.

Data loggers seem to be you get what you pay for....the mo money the better they are

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I have hooked up the EFILive EXT data, but there is so much to go wrong, that something usually does. The notebook must have a good battery, Windows has to not do something weird, the ranging calibration must be right, you must hit record when strapped into the truck, the connectors must not pull out, etc, etc.

Dedicated datalogging is the "pro" way to do it, but few systems are really geared towards late model Electronic trucks/cars, and the ones that do are $$$.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
I there a real demand for this sort of thing? Would a dedicated logger that could both log the CAN data stream and externals, like say Thermocouples and pressure sensors make sense? Especially since the FlashScan can do most of this stand alone. (Black box logging)

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I'd say there'd be a need for with more dedicated racers and pullers. It'd be really helpful to be able to lay the EGTs, drive pressure, lift pump pressure, etc. data on top of the existing loggable data that EFI Live can get.

Especially if it could handle say 9+ EGT probes (one for each cyl. plus post charger probe), drive pressure, multiple boost pressure readings (pre-post intercooler, etc.) turbo RPM, cylinder pressure, etc. That's IN ADDITION to whats already able to be logged via EFI Live.

Could it be done for $1000-$1500??? I know $1000 later in AutoMeter gauges and still not able to log 'em with EFI Live could have went a good ways towards a data logging setup for several channels.

C-ya

Last edited:

jpowel29

Feb 1, 2008
Bentonville, Arkansas
I feel a true data logger is a must - for me at least. I really don't like the laptop strapped down to my center console (to redneck even for me).

Having egts, drive pressure, boost, driveshaft speed, trans/converter data, etc would make for better tuning decisions and troubleshooting. I will be investing in one soon just to be better equipped with reliable feedback on what my truck is actually doing. Might save me from buying parts that won't help (or hurt).

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Bump

The Nexus gauges suck ass at best IMO they work only half the time the & SD records quarter of the time.

Im looking at some data logger mostly for temps. oil, water, egt and then maybe a 0-150 psi press sensor

Race Pack is pretty expensive but nice!

i found this that might give it a try. http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/egt-measurement-c-51.html

Any suggestions?

Notes:

http://www.microdaq.com/lascar/temperature/usb-thermocouple-logger.php

http://www.microdaq.com/aemc/simple_loggers/thermocouple-logger.php

Last edited:

Ian J

Nov 5, 2010
Merredin Western Australia
I am getting a Putting a Racpak Street dash ann OBD 11 inter face on a DMax - Toyota Landcruiser conversion because its the cheapest way to get all the valid inputs. thats about $1000
With with a stage one engine I was going to do the same but add a PDM [power distrabution modual ] that is a PLC and can use the ECM-TCM paramerters to control switch points as well as analoge inputs.
On My 7.1 build same again but with a logger.

with exception of the logging system the other systems are very cheap considering the accuracy and time they save from putting additional sensors in.:thumb:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I have a ISSPRO unit in Casper. Software is a bit primitive, but that was bought 3 years ago. It was for capturing differential oil temps, EGT's, boost, etc. Seemed to work OK, and was fairly cheap. I would rate it as "intermediate" skill level, not for rookies.

To get valid drag information, you'll need something much more powerful than EFILive. It samples pretty freakin' slow when you're trying to ID problems. IIRC, 11 frames per second is the best it can do, but in real life it's about 4 per second.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I have a ISSPRO unit in Casper. Software is a bit primitive, but that was bought 3 years ago. It was for capturing differential oil temps, EGT's, boost, etc. Seemed to work OK, and was fairly cheap. I would rate it as "intermediate" skill level, not for rookies.

To get valid drag information, you'll need something much more powerful than EFILive. It samples pretty freakin' slow when you're trying to ID problems. IIRC, 11 frames per second is the best it can do, but in real life it's about 4 per second.
My LBZ logs something like 30 frames per second as long as I don't select more than 24 channels.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm not convinced it's not "making up" the data when going over 11/sec.

Look at your data during a shift. Mine seldom if ever lines up with the truth.

What specifically doesn't line up? I've never noticed anything out of the ordinary, but maybe I'm not looking at the right stuff.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
I'd say there'd be a need for with more dedicated racers and pullers. It'd be really helpful to be able to lay the EGTs, drive pressure, lift pump pressure, etc. data on top of the existing loggable data that EFI Live can get.

Especially if it could handle say 9+ EGT probes (one for each cyl. plus post charger probe), drive pressure, multiple boost pressure readings (pre-post intercooler, etc.) turbo RPM, cylinder pressure, etc. That's IN ADDITION to whats already able to be logged via EFI Live.

Could it be done for $1000-$1500??? I know $1000 later in AutoMeter gauges and still not able to log 'em with EFI Live could have went a good ways towards a data logging setup for several channels.

C-ya

I wish... ill probably break down and get a race pack sooner or later, i log a few things with efi live, but its annoying having the lap top in the truck.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
We use RacePak in the real car, never had an issue...& their support is awesome...

I Made up my mind and I'm gonna get the one from race pak

It's expensive but I think it will be worth it.

Anyone want to buy some nexus gauges they a really good:rofl: