Crankshaft Pulley Keyed?

mick

Try anything
Aug 15, 2006
Forestdale. Brisbane.Australia
Could somebody tell me if LLY Crank Pulley is keyed or just a Press fit like alot of engines seem to do these days. Appreciate info and hope somebody gives me good news and says it has keyway - Mick

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
mick i am 99.9% sure it is keyed, if not the crank pully could rotate on the shaft, i even think there have been problems of people not getting their pully tight enough and sheering the pin off

mick

Try anything
Aug 15, 2006
BFJ Thanks.I'm hoping so - if not bit of machine work to fix it so I can run S/C pulley. My manual shows pic of it but doesn't show keyway. There are a few around now that will know for sure and will chime in -

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Well that's gay!! No wonder they shear occasionally. Anyone know what the torque is on that BMF bolt!! Is it Right hand or Left hand thread?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Bolt is standard right hand thread. Get the biggest cheater bar you can, then go get another a bigger one. Then use them both. My 3/4" impact won't phase it.

I think the official torque spec is one bazillion ftlb's, but I think they are tighter than that.

Do not reuse crank bolts. Ever. These are always to be replaced on modern GM engines when removed.

And yes, the LB7/LLY/LBZ crank is pin'd with a Walmart Quality extra-dainty pin. Cheap bastards.

mick

Try anything
Aug 15, 2006
Bolt is standard right hand thread. Get the biggest cheater bar you can, then go get another a bigger one. Then use them both. My 3/4" impact won't phase it.

I think the official torque spec is one bazillion ftlb's, but I think they are tighter than that.

Do not reuse crank bolts. Ever. These are always to be replaced on modern GM engines when removed.

And yes, the LB7/LLY/LBZ crank is pin'd with a Walmart Quality extra-dainty pin. Cheap bastards.

Thanks for that. I'll be taking mine off LB7 engine next week