couple of brain farts

rober

Jan 11, 2017
arnold mo
since I bought my 01' sierra & have the dreaded white smoke I've read a lot of threads on this & some other forums. 2 things have come up several times & i'm wondering......
1-because of water & mud possibly getting in the air box some g.m. dealers & have sealed the holes in the fender wells. what if a piece of say 14 or 12 gauge aluminum was cut 4" overall larger than the hole in the fender liner & was bolted to the liner with a spacer at the bolts. you'd still have ventilation & there'd be a 2" overlap at the hole to protect the hole from any water, snow, or mud.
2-there is quite a debate about pre-filling fuel filters with unfiltered fuel. what about pre-filling the filter with injector cleaner??
i'm obviously spending way too much time on these forums.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
unlikely the white smoke is from a clogged up air box. the ECM should adjust the fueling based on the MAF reading. my first thought was injector(s)

i dont prefill the filter. if i did i would spill half of it all over my hands, engine, tire, you name it maneuvering it into position. i just install it empty with lubed the O-rings. prime and start the engine. bleeding the air through the bleeder screw and priming it till the bulb is hard should not be any different than prefilling the filter except for the fuel getting filtered

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
x2^ most likely injectors given the year of the truck and it being available for sale for you to buy to have white smoke shortly after.

Don't prefill filters. Use the pump on the filterhead, it will prime the system fully and also prevent contaminants from entering through your prefill.

You can run cleaners but if they are done, it won't help

Last edited:

rober

Jan 11, 2017
arnold mo
I have no doubt that my smoke is injector related. my comments on the fuel filter & airbox are just thoughts I had after reading other threads, I guess I should have commented on those threads & not started this one.

rober

Jan 11, 2017
arnold mo
brent-smells like raw fuel. I had a talk with brian at your shop. i'm looking for a shop that can test my balance rates but i'm pretty sure I need injectors. it's not making oil & it idles & runs fine.

Last edited: