Couple New Komatsus

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
We did pretty well this summer so my father decided to make a move while interest rates are still pretty low. We picked up a brand new PC360 with the Waste Handler package and a brand new WA380 also with the Waste Handler package. Our current PC 300 and WA380 are both nearing the 20,000 hour mark and will become our new backups. That means we can sell our old undersized backups(WA320 and Cat 325) and possibly make a trip to the Kenworth dealer with that cash??

Attachments

• 360.JPG
    360.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 360 2.JPG
    360 2.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 95
  • 380.JPG
    380.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 110
  • 380 2.JPG
    380 2.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 85

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Do you take material containing asbestos?

I work in the waste industry aswell as an engineer. Help with permitting, landfill design, construction quality control, etc.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
On any given day we have between 6 and 10 rolloffs on the road working with the 450 or so dumpsters we rent out along with emptying recyclables that we pick at our facility. Trucks range from a 6 wheel Freightliner business class up to my favorite in the fleet, a freightliner classic with a 3406E in her. We also run a Freightliner tractor and Steco walking floor trailer that moves material in and out of a facility in Boston.

Our transfer station is licensed up to 500 tons of debris per day. We accept construction debris along with household cleaout material. According to the Massachusetts DEP we are on the cutting edge and leading the industry by example. We receive C&D from many local hauling companies but by ton, our hauling company is the biggest source of material. Once the material enters the building all of the large items are picked by a pc160 and put off to the side. Once the large items are out, our 380 pushes material to a cat 315 that loads it into our picking station (feed belt, trommel, picking station) where 8-10 guys are hand sorting cardboard, metal, asphalt, brick, concrete and wood. At the end of the picking station our PC300 loads the residual material into one of our 75 train cars that are shipped to a landfill in Ohio. Thats the quick and dirty lol.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Do you take material containing asbestos?

I work in the waste industry aswell as an engineer. Help with permitting, landfill design, construction quality control, etc.
We don't handle asbestos. That is the first sign you see at our facility lol. Stuff is bad news and we keep as far away from it as possible.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Here are a couple pictures of our picking station and the 300 that loads the train cars.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 73
  • photo8.jpg
    photo8.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 73
  • photo9.jpg
    photo9.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 78

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Nice Iron.:thumb: Sure is nice to have some new toys at work. So who gets to put the first scratch on them? I like Komatsu hoes, but dang there a pain to work on. Not such a fan of their loaders, but I don't have a lot of experience with them.

I understand if you don't answer me, but is this really a $$$ process or do you rely on government subsidies/ETC? I'm asking purely on the fact that I keep hearing that sorting like this is purely to make us "feel good" and cost a lot more then just taking it to a land fill. Which might be the case here in TX, but not true on the east coast where the population is a lot denser.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Nice Iron.:thumb: Sure is nice to have some new toys at work. So who gets to put the first scratch on them? I like Komatsu hoes, but dang there a pain to work on. Not such a fan of their loaders, but I don't have a lot of experience with them.

I understand if you don't answer me, but is this really a $$$ process or do you rely on government subsidies/ETC? I'm asking purely on the fact that I keep hearing that sorting like this is purely to make us "feel good" and cost a lot more then just taking it to a land fill. Which might be the case here in TX, but not true on the east coast where the population is a lot denser.

We stuck with Komatsu stuff because we have had great luck with our current equipment and there is a Komatsu dealership about 15 minutes from us that will jump though hoops when we call them. We explored other options but decided to stick with what we know.

As far as the recycling goes, it is nothing but a headache but in order to stay in compliance we were forced to get our recycling rates up. This place was a gold mine when material could be dropped here, sorted for large metal and cardboard and then packed into rail cars. Fuel costs were low and scrap prices were high. The picking station has added 10 people to our payroll, 5 pieces of equipment and all the related maintenance. I will say that the increase in recovered material does help offset cost but it is definitely not enough to cover it completely. Unfortunately, there are no government subsidies and all of this was paid for out of pocket.

After years in the industry, I do think that recycling helps out, but the added costs are making it hard for smaller businesses to make money. Larger companies like veolia, WCA and allied waste(bfi) seem to be buying up many of the local companies because in order to make money you have to do massive volumes. We seem to be one of the few family run operations that is still making money because we really care about the place. The added regulations add a ton of paperwork and reporting to my plate. Large companies have entire departments to do what I do each day, but there is a lot of waste there. We are able to keep managerial overhead down and it is one of the few advantages we have over the big guys.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
i'm not for an unregulated industry... there has to be reasonable regulations to protect everyone
.. too much and it kills business
I agree. The problem is, the state of Massachusetts is overregulating the industry, and Rhode Island is still like the wild west. Haulers are choosing to spend the extra time and fuel to bring material into Rhode Island and save cost on disposal. Eventually Mass is going to realize they have run everyone out of state and they'll be left with trash in the streets. Rhode Island needs to step up there regulations or Mass has to relax a bit or the industry is going to be in trouble.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
as soon as i mention de-reg'ng an industry... something people think "lawless" and blant disregard to human life for what ever reason.....

in the trucking they just put into effect the 30 minute break after 8 hours and one 34h reset after 168 hours... still doesnt stop a person form staying up all night for what ever reason, or the driver(s) that dont/stop paying attention to what is going on around their vehicle, let alone all the other distractions that have been IMo falsely faulted and had legislation passed to make illegal...

or shit like this... which this dash cam saved the drivers job. language
http://youtu.be/g1jDmvEK-qM

Last edited:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Cool deal man!

I've done or am currently doing work for all of those companies you listed. There's even one landfill in KY receiving waste from the NY & NJ area. It's all municipal (aka household) waste which is sooooo much nastier than CD&D materials. They have some wild looking excavators to offload the rail cars. I'd post pics but that particular place is a little funny and I'd hate to post something I shouldn't... I'll look for a version of their machines online though. The cabs raise at least 12' in the air and then they have really long reach booms. Wild.

Hoosier

Stock is Slow
Mar 27, 2012
Indiana
Cool deal man!

I'll look for a version of their machines online though. The cabs raise at least 12' in the air and then they have really long reach booms. Wild.

I know liebherr makes some material handlers like this as well.

Terex%20Fuchs%20MHL360%20E.jpg

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
We tried out a Liebherr handler at one point but none of us could get comfortable with the way the cab moved around when it was in the lifted position. We ended up just building the platform you see in the pictures and we load from there. As far as the landfill equipment, I have seen some of the site trucks used at Lafarge and it is impressive to sa ythe least. These companies have massive amounts of money invested in even more massive equipment.