Coolant flush on the LMM

Dean E

Mar 30, 2022
Blair, NE
Well I was seeing some issues with my last trips pulling my enclosed trailer with the temp creeping up at higher speeds when climbing up bigger hills out west and I have done a through cleaning of all the bugs up front from the tranny cooler, AC condenser, and such. I think my thermostat might be hanging up a bit since I see it cycling up at temp. Maybe about 5 degrees or so but it has never done that before. It was plenty easy enough to do a flush on the old radiators but these new systems do pose a bit more of a challenge. Also, has anyone see any history of the reservoir cap going bad? Maybe what I am seeing is related to the cap not holding 15 psi. Cap looks fine and is tight. My LMM has 220,000 miles on it with a 70 hp aftermarket tune on it. I don't push my truck hard when pulling a trailer, most of this trailer time is pulling an enclosed trailer with a bike in it or the bass boat. Dean

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
My 2008 hasn't had a cap problem. I did run a 20 lb cap for a few years, but I didn't need that much pressure so put the old 15 lb cap back in. They're pretty problem-free as long as you change the coolant every once in a while.

Dean E

Mar 30, 2022
Blair, NE
Yeah now that the mornings are getting a bit cooler I see my temps cycling once warm and it is getting a bit cooler than it used to. Pretty sure my thermostat is acting up. It is only about 3 years old. Gives me an excuse to get in there and do a full flush on the system. Thanks, Dean

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
What is in the res tank looks very clean. You thinking a possible head gasket issue? D
I'm thinking more along, is it dirty and in need of a flush and thus contributing to the engine heating or is it more likely to be something like fan clutch, thermostats, plugged radiator, etc

Dean E

Mar 30, 2022
Blair, NE
I'm thinking more along, is it dirty and in need of a flush and thus contributing to the engine heating or is it more likely to be something like fan clutch, thermostats, plugged radiator, etc

I replaced the coolant when I did the thermostat about 3 years ago. Even then the fluid had a good orange tint to it. This time I'll make sure to drain everything and look at removing the radiator to try to flush it out. Just can't see it being the fan since I don't see any issues in town or in heavy traffic. Like I stated earlier now that it is much cooler in the mornings when I get the truck out the temp oscillates from 210 to 195-200 range. Before it was rock solid at 210. Dean

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Maybe temperature sensor?

The gauge is weighted or buffered so the fluctuations of the thermostat doesn't cause the needle to move around. So, inorder tor the needle to move as you describe, the temperature must be more then the range of a properly working thermostat/radiator setup

I'd try thermostats first

Dean E

Mar 30, 2022
Blair, NE
He did mention cleaning them. But didn't really say if he removed the radiator to do it
Considering the trans cooler and intercooler completely covers the front of the radiator I'm not sure how blockage could be in front of it. Don't get me wrong, there were plenty of bugs in front of both the cooler and intercooler that have been cleaned off. Once again if there was that kind of blockage in the radiator or issues with the fan I would think this would make this more of an issue driving around town in stop and go traffic. I am going to do a full flush, pull the radiator to back flush it and replace the thermostat again. Dean

Reactions: lutzjk913