Converter flow valve modification

fitzie

Mar 15, 2015
Could anyone help a guy and supply some guidance as to how to modify the factory or Transgo converter flow valve? I was told that the Trango valve cuts too much pressure to the clutches and supplies most pressure to the converter when it locks. I was also told that you can grind or somehow modify one of these valves to better proportion pressure to both areas on lock up.

I can't get ahold of the guy that told me this could be done so I thought maybe one of you guys would be able to help me. Tranny will be on the floor tonight.

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
You can grind a flat spot on the valve to achieve this(so it looks like a flat tire)I think its the wide end of the valve you grind,dont do the wrong end like I did.do a search as theres some good picts here somewere.

fitzie

Mar 15, 2015
Ok cool thanks. Any ideas as what to search for? I've tried googling different things and it never brings up anything regarding modifying it just parts

fitzie

Mar 15, 2015
Good to know Evan. I may not need to mod it now, I thought George forgot to send the spring he said he would send. Turns out I may have found it. Does 2.000" sound like the spring to install with the transgo valve?

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
Call Mike and get specifics before you do this. The transgo valve I believe still sees a drop in pressure to the clutches especially after lock up. By modifying the stock valve, it prevents or reduces greatly the amount of pressure you lose when the converter is locked. It's harder on the pump plate, however, if I remember the conversation with Mike. I should really call him again myself just to refresh my own memory. I would definitely call and ask though before you modify a hard part without knowing EXACTLY what it will do, pros and cons.

And if I'm wrong at all I hope I'm corrected.

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
Just went thru this. With Transgo valve and new longer spring and ditching the ball does the same exact thing as a modified converter flow valve stock spring and ditching the ball. I went with the transgo valve an new longer spring and ditched the ball. I had Evan send me a new modified converter flow valve in case my ne spring didnt show up from Suncoast. Spring showed up and I am back together good to go. Good luck if you have not done yours yet.

fitzie

Mar 15, 2015
I will give George a call again today and confirm if the Orange spring 2" long is the one to be used with transgo valve.
On another note my clutches mostly look pretty great, the C3s aren't warped for being single side design but I'm gonna put the GPZs in anyways. Not sure about the C2s tho the frictions look pretty good but the steels are black. If anyone has had 4-5 gear tie ups under 700-800hp at the track I'm all ears as to what could be my problem

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 98