LLY: Confirm what I already know/How big injections should I go?

Lparrill

And here we go again
Jul 30, 2010
Lander, WY
First off I know at least a couple of the injectors are bad, just posting for peace of mind :eek:

I bought the truck in my sig about 3 months ago. It originally had Diesel Addiction tuning on it. Driving it from North Carolina to Colorado it ran pretty good, no real complaints with it.

Around the Colorado boarder while stopping to fuel up the truck started to lope real bad at idle and pouring white/blue-ish smoke. Then it started doing it regularly except in the 5th tune? All other tunes when it idled or you came to a light it would lope real bad and white/blue smoke but in tune 5 it ran just fine, really dirty but no lope/white smoke.

Got it home and it sat in my driveway while I was at work. Finally got around to Tony tuning it. When truck is cold-ish it will haze that white/blue smoke then when it gets warm it will lope and pour white smoke at idle or at a light but cleans up perfect when driving. Balance rates are good when cold but once it hits operating temps #3 is 15 and #1 & #2 are -7.

Thoughts? Common symptoms for bad LLY injectors? Just strange it never hazed or anything till I hit Colorado.

Anyways how big would you recommend going? So far I'm leaning towards 100% overs. Truck isn't a dedicated daily driver but is still driven alot. Mostly street driven but will occasionally see sled pulls and the 1/4.

Thanks, sorry for the novel.

Levi

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Have you confirmed that the wires at the ficm harness haven't rubbed through causing the lope? And also ice picked the injector wires to make sure there seated all the way. What is your lift pump pressure set at?

Just throwing out a few things to check first so were all on the right page in case you haven't checked them yet.

Lparrill

And here we go again
Jul 30, 2010
Lander, WY
Also might add there are no codes present when scanning with my v2.

I quickly went through the harness real fast but didn't see anything. Will take a closer look at it this weekend when I get home. Lift pump pressure is at 8 psi.

I should have done more checking before I posted :eek:. Just very irritated with it right now after all the other small stuff that was half assed and not being able to drive the damn thing.

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
First off I know at least a couple of the injectors are bad, just posting for peace of mind :eek:

I bought the truck in my sig about 3 months ago. It originally had Diesel Addiction tuning on it. Driving it from North Carolina to Colorado it ran pretty good, no real complaints with it.

Around the Colorado boarder while stopping to fuel up the truck started to lope real bad at idle and pouring white/blue-ish smoke. Then it started doing it regularly except in the 5th tune? All other tunes when it idled or you came to a light it would lope real bad and white/blue smoke but in tune 5 it ran just fine, really dirty but no lope/white smoke.

Got it home and it sat in my driveway while I was at work. Finally got around to Tony tuning it. When truck is cold-ish it will haze that white/blue smoke then when it gets warm it will lope and pour white smoke at idle or at a light but cleans up perfect when driving. Balance rates are good when cold but once it hits operating temps #3 is 15 and #1 & #2 are -7.

Thoughts? Common symptoms for bad LLY injectors? Just strange it never hazed or anything till I hit Colorado.

Anyways how big would you recommend going? So far I'm leaning towards 100% overs. Truck isn't a dedicated daily driver but is still driven alot. Mostly street driven but will occasionally see sled pulls and the 1/4.

Thanks, sorry for the novel.

Levi

Your engine can handle it but at your altitude I wouldn't even mess with 100% injectors. Harder to tune and they'll never run clean. Mine are 80% over and even at 4400' elevation they smoke quite a bit until about 2500 rpm. Thing is, most driving is done at under 2500. I'd rather have 60's at any kind of altitude.

Check your fuel? Five years ago I got some real bad fuel in Winter Park, Colorado and lost the whole set of injectors.

Last edited:

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Your engine can handle it but at your altitude I wouldn't even mess with 100% injectors. Harder to tune and they'll never run clean. Mine are 80% over and even at 4400' elevation they smoke quite a bit until about 2500 rpm. Thing is, most driving is done at under 2500. I'd rather have 60's at any kind of altitude.

Check your fuel? Five years ago I got some real bad fuel in Winter Park, Colorado and lost the whole set of injectors.

X2, my tuner is going from 100's to 60's, he also said he was tuning a truck and it gained a 50 hp gain from going to 100's to 60's. Plus On a stock cp3 truck, the injectors demand a lot higher fuel pressure at idle to correctly spray through the injector into a vapor.

Lparrill

And here we go again
Jul 30, 2010
Lander, WY

Ah okay, I will definitely be sticking with 60% overs then. Didn't really consider the altitude difference. Street manors are extremely important to me, especially at altitudes of 7000'+.

I'm thinking I got bad fuel. But like mike diesel suggested, I'll do some more looking before I take the plunge. Was planning on new injectors next year but not this soon :rolleyes:

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
I disagree I am running 80% sticks with Willis tuning and live @ 4200' and drive up to 9500'. The only smoke that comes out of my truck is from either spooling @ a stop or when I punch it a little bit of smoke comes out. Truck is responsive all the way around. If the others are struggling to get your tuning how you want it I recommend giving Kory Willis with PPEI a try. His webby is www.latuning.com good luck.:D

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
I am running similar setup to yours and am happy with my 60 overs. Truck can't clean up all the fuel on my big tune at sea level, which leads me to believe anything over 60s at your altitude would definitely be overkill.

Edit: Surprised nobody has said this yet, but there are horror stories about the quality of industrials injectors.

Last edited:

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
I am running similar setup to yours and am happy with my 60 overs. Truck can't clean up all the fuel on my big tune at sea level, which leads me to believe anything over 60s at your altitude would definitely be overkill.

Edit: Surprised nobody has said this yet, but there are horror stories about the quality of industrials injectors.

Their new injectors are made the same way as exnergys. Back in the day they had problems but I haven't heard of any problems to date with their new ones. They now have a guy that used to work at DDP that had the best quality in the industry working at industrial on their nozzles and injectors.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Their new injectors are made the same way as exnergys. Back in the day they had problems but I haven't heard of any problems to date with their new ones. They now have a guy that used to work at DDP that had the best quality in the industry working at industrial on their nozzles and injectors.
Good to know, but these nozzles could be 2 years old. Just something to keep in mind.

Lparrill

And here we go again
Jul 30, 2010
Lander, WY

I just want to make sure I have room to improve some in the future. Considering twins at some point.

Also alot of the reason I jumped to the conclusion they were bad was because of II's bad reputation with injectors.

Good to know, but these nozzles could be 2 years old. Just something to keep in mind.

From what I gather these injectors are a couple years old.

Also something to consider

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
That makes the decision a bit more complicated. I think with twins you might benefit from 100 overs. You would just need to spend some more time tuning for the time being. Someone else can probably jump in here though since I don't know a ton about the altitude issues.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
60 overs will be enough fuel to power that 72 as well as twins over that.
Out of curiosity, why would so many people be running 100 overs with the 72 then? a 72 with an 83 atmo will make 1100+ hp as Mark has proven and he did it with 200% overs. Not sure what makes you think 60s would be the optimal injectors.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Out of curiosity, why would so many people be running 100 overs with the 72 then? a 72 with an 83 atmo will make 1100+ hp as Mark has proven and he did it with 200% overs. Not sure what makes you think 60s would be the optimal injectors.

Probably due to easier tuning at the elevation. People run 100+ OVERS to decrease injection duration , lessen timing. He could easily run a clean moderate pw with 60 overs and still have 800 hp. 800hp on the street is constant 4 wheel drive or you get squirrly fast.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah

This.

Probably due to easier tuning at the elevation. People run 100+ OVERS to decrease injection duration , lessen timing. He could easily run a clean moderate pw with 60 overs and still have 800 hp. 800hp on the street is constant 4 wheel drive or you get squirrly fast.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Simon, I'm not disagreeing with you, but his earlier post says he wants to leave room to grow. I feel like 60s would end up being his limiting factor if he did twins. He has the motor to make some big numbers, it would just take some more time tuning the smoke out of his street tunes.

Edit: Also take into consideration that I have a similar setup to what he is running now and chose to go with 60s. I am sort of playing devil's advocate to see what other people think. I also don't know if his future goals include 1000+rwhp with twins and spray or if he is shooting for 800.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Simon, I'm not disagreeing with you, but his earlier post says he wants to leave room to grow. I feel like 60s would end up being his limiting factor if he did twins. He has the motor to make some big numbers, it would just take some more time tuning the smoke out of his street tunes.

Edit: Also take into consideration that I have a similar setup to what he is running now and chose to go with 60s. I am sort of playing devil's advocate to see what other people think. I also don't know if his future goals include 1000+rwhp with twins and spray or if he is shooting for 800.

60's will give plenty of room to make 1000 hp without spray. Up at this elevation, my tuner did 1010 hp with 100 overs and it wouldn't clean up. He has a 72mm with s500 over it. It's fairly smokey around town, especially when he gets On it, he is changing to 60 overs for more streetable manners.

A buddies truck with triples did 1080 hp with 60 overs and he daily drives it. Clean on the street unless he is getting on it.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
60's will give plenty of room to make 1000 hp without spray. Up at this elevation, my tuner did 1010 hp with 100 overs and it wouldn't clean up. He has a 72mm with s500 over it. It's fairly smokey around town, especially when he gets On it, he is changing to 60 overs for more streetable manners.

A buddies truck with triples did 1080 hp with 60 overs and he daily drives it. Clean on the street unless he is getting on it.
I know 60s are capable of 1000hp. Just figured with tuning as good as it is, that backing down 100s might be an option as opposed to pushing 60s to their limit. I guess altitude is more of a factor than I realized.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
I know 60s are capable of 1000hp. Just figured with tuning as good as it is, that backing down 100s might be an option as opposed to pushing 60s to their limit. I guess altitude is more of a factor than I realized.

Yea I see where your coming from. If his truck was a strictly race truck, I would do 100's, but I don't think he plans on driving it at 1000 hp every day as no motor can handle that...

And most don't realize how altitude plays a huge roll with these trucks. I mean it takes a turbo and injectors to break into the 12's here :eek: where at sea level people on a stock transmission and mild tune run 12's. It doesn't just affect the air, it affects the timing tables as well.