cold weather smoke?

bigboytoy426

Jun 30, 2012
grand rapids michigan
Its been around 0-10 degrees F lately and I noticed my truck bellowing white smoke untill warm. It never did it before when it was in the 30's. I noticed my exhause doesn't steam like a gas engine but I'm wondering if this cold weather is cold enough to make it steam or is it smoke. When driving at first I can see it pouring out smoke like a cummins but its white. New injectors 5k ago but one side seems a lot noiser then the other side. Will my efi live tunes void my warranty on the injectors. I'm guessing the smoke would be normal seeing the motor is so cold but would like some reassurance! smells a little funky too I think.

AubleAK

Aug 5, 2011
Glennallen, AK
Anyone know why these new duramax trucks warm up much faster and hotter? My lml is to 210 degrees in 5 minutes of idling and about 5 miles of driving..

Jscherbs

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Oct 27, 2009
Canton, MI
Plugging in only helps so much. -2 here last night.

10 mile drive to work today and the heat was just starting to get warm apon arrival.

grill and bumper bra's are good for something when its this cold.

RobsDmax

Mar 19, 2012
Arthur, Ontario
lol the diesels at work. my lb7 one lly and a 24 valve

all cold starts after sitting 10 hours at -15 C and some wind chill

Attachments

• Erin-20130122-00197.jpg
    Erin-20130122-00197.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Erin-20130122-00198.jpg
    Erin-20130122-00198.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 52

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Yep, truck was rattling and shaking this morning, same as usual. -8* when I left for work this AM. Did it again when I got out of work tonight. 10* above @ 8pm. I just try to leave her run for about 10 minutes before I go anywhere. The thing that worries me more than that is the whine and groan from the transmission until it gets warm....that fluid must be moving like molasses.

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
My trucks love me, they get to sit in a heated shop at night.

I do get a light blue haze if I leave it out though for the first couple seconds after starting.

lowbarDMAXX

Jan 10, 2013
south west florida
Yep, truck was rattling and shaking this morning, same as usual. -8* when I left for work this AM. Did it again when I got out of work tonight. 10* above @ 8pm. I just try to leave her run for about 10 minutes before I go anywhere. The thing that worries me more than that is the whine and groan from the transmission until it gets warm....that fluid must be moving like molasses.

The whine I get is very high pitched, and I believe it is the transmission, only I hear it ALL the time. Is this something to worry about?

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
I only travel 3 miles to and from work. Due to my short commute, I was told to definitely let it warm up about 10 minutes before pulling out of the driveway, especially on cold days. Need to let the oil warm up a little before driving away.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
The whine I get is very high pitched, and I believe it is the transmission, only I hear it ALL the time. Is this something to worry about?

From what I understand, some whine from a built trans is "normal". I get that noise most mornings, warm or cold. This noise is a bit different than that.

Ah well....cant do anything about the weather or temperature. Just have to deal with it.
Layers, layers, layers.....I look like the UPS Michelin Man. :rofl: 2 pr long johns, turtleneck, 2 pr socks, etc.

bigboytoy426

Jun 30, 2012
grand rapids michigan
Ii try to plug mine in everynight but it had me worried when the temp dropped 15 deg from what it has been and started smokin like crazy. Poor thing hasn't seen anyything north of 135 degrees during the week. Glad to hear its not the only truck doing it. Anyone know of a place/website to get a decent grill cover?