LMM: Code p0234 help

Bartrick

Mar 23, 2017
Southern Oregon
Hey guys,
Today I was 4 hours into a 5 hour pull with my 30' travel trailer(7000 lbs), I was going up a long (maybe 3 mile) steep uphill, hitting it pretty hard, keeping it steady at about 70 mph. Rpms were about 3500ish and Drogo (09 sierra 2500 LMM) was working his ass off. Check engine light came on, I backed off, obd2 reader in my entertainment system wasn't giving me my code, I checked tranny temp, running 205°...a little high ,but i wasn't too surprised with what I had been putting it through and had been going for 4 hours straight. It drove fine the last hour home, I was more gentle on that rest of the hills. My system finally gave me my code... P0234... *P0234is a generic OBD-II*code*that is triggered when the Engine Control Module (ECM) detects that the intake boost pressure sensor input signals intake pressure above the maximum specified pressure by 4 psi for more than 5 seconds.*
Further reading it sounds like it can be pretty brutal if not fixed. My check engine light is still on (will it go away without clearing it?) but it seems like it was just situational from the conditions during that part of the pull... Or is this something that has to be repaired now? I have a 200 mile (400 round trip) trip on Monday I need to do, not towing or carrying anything, and I can't get it into the shop before then. What are your thoughts? Is this code usually a big deal?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Moved to LMM section, as its technically not towing related. If you search the code, quite a few threads come up.

Last edited:

Bartrick

Mar 23, 2017
Southern Oregon
Why were the rpm 3500 at 70?
Was going up a steep (maybe 6% grade) pulling pulling my trailer (about 7000# I think) and keeping it at 70mph, it had just downshifted kicking up the rpms and I held it in that range for about a minute or so when the code kicked, not sure exact rpms but I think it was in that range

Bartrick

Mar 23, 2017
Southern Oregon
Has this truck been tuned?
Not since I got it two months ago, not sure before that. It runs like a dream other than this one thing, and when I got it I took it to the top diesel mechanic in the area and he said everything looks excellent, very well maintained. It's an 09 with 65,000 miles. I'm planning on deleting it in the next month or two

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Was going up a steep (maybe 6% grade) pulling pulling my trailer (about 7000# I think) and keeping it at 70mph, it had just downshifted kicking up the rpms and I held it in that range for about a minute or so when the code kicked, not sure exact rpms but I think it was in that range

You have other problems. It should never be that high

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Something is off. Stock rev limiter is 3400rpm iirc on a 09. No way I'd run it that high pulling a load in the heat up a hill unless the engine and cooling system were built for it.

As for the code, generally points to having it tuned and the table not being adjusted for it but you revving it that high while towing, it may have set it from that too.

You really need an oil temp gauge in there if you are gunna push it like that

Bartrick

Mar 23, 2017
Southern Oregon
You have other problems. It should never be that high
I was driving this evening and pictured where the needle was when I was driving and it was actually about 25-2800 rpms. I could picture where the needle position was last night, but without seeing the actual gage I overestimated what the rpms were!

Bartrick

Mar 23, 2017
Southern Oregon
After starting the engine 4 times now since the code originally kicked, the check engine light is gone. I think it recognized that I'm not still throwing the error and cleared itself, thanks for all the help though guys! I won't push it quite like that again!