co-pilot kit

Barlow

Barlow
Apr 19, 2009
Mississippi
I heard that the CO-PILOT kit for the allison 5speed auto does wonders as long as you have not limped the tranny before. holds the clutch packs at 230psi vs. 85-90psi stock. Just seeing had anyone installed it before and have any feed back

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
I'm sure it can help but dosen't fix the things that really need to upgraded inside a 5 speed.

Rikter

Grumpy, old, farty, funny
Jan 14, 2010
Calgary
What to do to 5 spd

Ok. So what is/are the best things to do to my 5 spd Allison. My trans has gone into "Limp Mode" about 2 dozen times. Am I looking at some serious problems coming at me?

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Ok. So what is/are the best things to do to my 5 spd Allison. My trans has gone into "Limp Mode" about 2 dozen times. Am I looking at some serious problems coming at me?

your clutches are done... good idea to back the power WAY down

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky

Only if the trans limped because of transmission codes (P07xx) Limping from say low rail pressure ( P0087) doesn't hurt anything

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
The Copilot will raise pressure to the C3/C4 clutches but will not solve problems. Pat and I proved this long time ago. Transgo jr will do the same for 100.00. Both basically worthless on a 5 speed.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I just bought a co pilot with my trans funds. Because with the new stuff comin out I figure I'll wait and see how the new stuff performs.. May have some price drops too... I'm not gonna install the co pilot till I build the trans though... I'm sure Its gonna help out thought, weither its noticable or not

Rikter

Jan 14, 2010
Calgary
Reply to "What Upgrades?"

I mean the trans has gone to limp mode about 24 times since new(5 times/year). Always when in 5+lockup, (62mph/100kph) slow squeeze on throttle to pass "nicely". If I step hard on it or drop into 4th it doesn't happen. Edge chip is on "Drive" & defuel on 4-5 shift. The truck is used for work & has lots of offroad miles. Towing is about 5% & hauling 1 quad with gear 15% of miles. 100,000 mi.

So, should I be looking at some upgrades? Probably. My question is what?

BTW, upgrades are: Edge Juice, AFE intake, 5" exhaust.

Rikter

Jan 14, 2010
Calgary
Trans Upgrades

Don't know the code but it is "clutch slip during lockup". Can I get away with a kit, or do I have to drop trans to change to a good torque converter?

Rikter

Jan 14, 2010
Calgary
Baby Allison

Just looking at T/Cs: ATS looks oK & Banks seems spendy$$. What recommendations? How many hours downtime to R&R trans? I wouldn't mind turning the "Juice" up but scared of toasting Allison.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
from what you have described, your transmission already is toasted. Back the power down to stock or pull it out and rebuild it.

Rikter

Jan 14, 2010
Calgary
Trans Toasty or Roasty?

Trans runs fine 99% of the time. It's just when I let the torque build in 5th gear with converter locked up. I towed my trailer with 14,000 lb of lumber with no issues last month. I just shifted out of O/D to accelerate or climb hills in 4th gear then once up to speed, shift back to 5th gear. I think the chip is adding 100 to 120hp

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Trans runs fine 99% of the time. It's just when I let the torque build in 5th gear with converter locked up. I towed my trailer with 14,000 lb of lumber with no issues last month. I just shifted out of O/D to accelerate or climb hills in 4th gear then once up to speed, shift back to 5th gear. I think the chip is adding 100 to 120hp

thats too much IMO...

but if you think its fine, keep running it and keep limping it... :)

Last edited:

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK

I hope this works for you. I had the same issue caused by a Banks chip. The co-pilot will mask some of the issues. I only limped my tranny 5 times. 4 of those were after the co-pilot was installed.

I was putting off the rebuild for timing reasons. When I had the rebuild done the clutches were smoked.

Also, watch your trans temps. The co-pilot will raise them.

I hope it works out for you.