Cleaning EGT Probe

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
I've got an Edge EGT probe and have already replaced it a couple times due to it no longer reading accurately. Well currently it's stuck on 89*, just wondering if anybody has tried cleaning the probe to see if a build up of soot is causing the issue? If so what'd you use to clean it?

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Soot is not the issue. The probe is junk. Switch probes to a better one, my edge probe went 3 months, swapped my autometer probe back in and 4 years and 2 trucks later it is still working like a champ.

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
If it is a type "K" thermocouple, you should be able to replace it with any high quality "K" EGT thermocouple. Don't trim the wire lengths, TC probes are calibrated to the length of wire provided, if you shorten them you will mess up the calibration...

Brabham 64

May 26, 2014
My edge cts expandable egt gauge has already quit after only 2 months! It started ready weird and would raise if I rolled my windows up or hit the brakes. Edge told me I had a grounding issue but I checked all the grounds and still have the same problem.

They then sent me a new sensor and now it works but I don't trust it! I'm gonna add a analog gauge to the driver side when I swap the manifold.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
My autometer probe just decided it would read 100* higher on my way up to Colorado. Not exactly cool when you towing 12k and watch that gauge like a hawk when your pullin hills at 65-70. The probe is only year and a half old

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
Well figured I had nothing to lose by cleaning it and it didn't make a difference, guess I'll be calling edge for a replacement.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
My autometer probe just decided it would read 100* higher on my way up to Colorado. Not exactly cool when you towing 12k and watch that gauge like a hawk when your pullin hills at 65-70. The probe is only year and a half old

Maybe it was reading 100° low before:p

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
Called Edge the other day and had a new probe shipped out to me that day. Guy I spoke with said there's issues with the ground so they've added a wire that goes to the negative battery terminal. Anybody using one of the new probes and have any issues?

Akers

Jun 20, 2014
Called Edge the other day and had a new probe shipped out to me that day. Guy I spoke with said there's issues with the ground so they've added a wire that goes to the negative battery terminal. Anybody using one of the new probes and have any issues?

I bought mine a month ago. It does not have a ground wire.

Brabham 64

May 26, 2014

They told me the same thing ! But my replacement probe was the same as the old one