.cax files not working

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ok, wtf am I not doing right. I have a .cax I use for my 6 speed conversion in the limo. Last time it was used was 2019. Well now I’ve got her back and need to do some tweaking but the damn .cax ain’t loading in 7.5? I got a new lap top between then too but still have my old ones. I’ve searched all over efi live and google with no change. My old ass computer I originally had the .cax works but it’s xp and google won’t let me use Gmail to send the file. Can’t flash with it as the battery won’t hold a charge

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Can you upload it to Google drive and download it to your old computer?

Gmail stopped letting zip files through so if that's how your attaching it, that might be the issue. I don't think there is a restriction on XP

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Do you need the file you had in it before?

I have it, I just can’t edit it lol.

Can you upload it to Google drive and download it to your old computer?

Gmail stopped letting zip files through so if that's how your attaching it, that might be the issue. I don't think there is a restriction on XP

Oh there very much is a restriction. Chrome will not allow it to go to it. I’ll have to get a pic of what it says.

I think at some point efi live stopped the use of .cax and only allows .cax8 now but may be wrong.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I guess I dont see the problem? Why not just use another email to send the file?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
We are talking about a 2005 laptop on a HDD drive, boys. It’s not long for this world . Rather have the new one run this stuff on its SDD and be able to actually pull over, tweak tune, flash, drive again.

It might as well be like using a desktop computer at this point

Reactions: gmduramax

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Are you using the newest version of 7.5? I’ve heard of stuff missing on it. Cax should still work tho unless EFI live is doing some fuckery

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You could upgrade that HDD to an SDD, ya know.....

This laptop ain’t worth it. We are coming up on 20 years old. We could have memory card issues, mother board issues, cpu issues and on and on. It would be far simpler to find out what I’m doing wrong as far as implementing the .cax than going down that money road.

Are you using the newest version of 7.5? I’ve heard of stuff missing on it. Cax should still work tho unless EFI live is doing some fuckery

I want to say it’s not the newest, maybe mid/late 2023?

Either way, I put the .cax file in the calibrations section, restart efi live and nada. File path is c:/program files x86, efi live, 7.5, calibrations

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Check the file path on the old Laptop and make sure your in the correct spot. Also see which version of 7.5 it is on the ole girl.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I did. Even did a few file searches to verify I didn’t place the file in multiple places. She’s identical.

The old laptop is on 7.5.9 and the new/old laptop is used before I got my newest laptop is on 7.5.35. The new/old laptop has the same issue as my newest laptop

Reactions: 1FastBrick

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I did. Even did a few file searches to verify I didn’t place the file in multiple places. She’s identical.

The old laptop is on 7.5.9 and the new/old laptop is used before I got my newest laptop is on 7.5.35. The new/old laptop has the same issue as my newest laptop
Well that sucks!!! If the Old 7.5.9 install file is still on the Old Lap top, try and delete the current version on the new one and install that.

Other wise you may need to contact EFI live and see if they figure out why or what changed.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Quick question, I found this in another thread.

Have you enabled the .cax options in 7.5?
View->Properties->[Options]->
"Allow *.cax calibrations to modify operating system memory some controllers"
"Allow *.cax calibrations to overlap other *.cax calibrations."

cax.jpg

Reactions: 2004LB7

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
So the 7.5.9 version has that unselected as well as the newer versions.
interesting... did you try checking it to see if it would allow you to see the tables in the newer version?

I am not Cax guy just trying to see if I can help you figure this out.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yup and I’m not using v8 to try to tune, that’s geared toward v8. Also, per the article, the name should match the calibration since it’s an Allison cal which it does. That’s how it is on the old laptop as well.

I was reading that article before I posted up and tried all kinds of different options

Reactions: 2004LB7

Lennydmaxguy

Just another diesel tech
Nov 8, 2023
Somewhere, USA :)
Not sure if this is helpful or not, but when I last updated my V7.5, I somehow managed to install the program files inside the existing 7.5 folder. So now my program path looks like this: "C:\Program Files (x86)\EFILive\V7.5\V7.5\Calibrations". Whereas before, it was like this: "C:\Program Files (x86)\EFILive\V7.5\Calibrations"