Camper shell with stack?

Brabham 64

May 26, 2014
Ok I've been wanting to modify my exhaust and start to add power adders and then do some fun drag/street racing and have a good "sleeper" vibe! So I'm thinking about doing a stack and then adding a fiberglass camper shell. Any pros/cons????? I think I'm going to use a 8" flat stack and then have it stick out the top 1-3". Use a flat mounting plate to the bed for the stack and use header wrap to help keep the heat out of the shell itself. And if that's not enough the. Open the sliding windows and maybe add a low profile scoop to the top to help ventilate the camper shell. ( because I will still use the bed) (haul the dog, cloths, groceries, etc)

Any further ideas???????

Have you ever seen this done before?????

I hope to add tube steps to the side and that will complete the whole "Grampa truck sleeper look!"

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
It'd be nifty for sure. Stacks get HOT though. Especially when towing or beating on the truck. I think even with header wrap there's a good possibility it would get very hot inside that shell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
If you are going for sleeper, why not a turndown under the truck? Leaves the whole bed usable. Or larger exhaust in the stock style.

I have a 4" turbo-back exhaust with a custom end section that matches the stock angle & cut. Except being a bit bigger, you couldn't tell with a causal glance. (Obviously no tip or chrome)

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
If you are going for sleeper, why not a turndown under the truck? Leaves the whole bed usable. Or larger exhaust in the stock style.

I have a 4" turbo-back exhaust with a custom end section that matches the stock angle & cut. Except being a bit bigger, you couldn't tell with a causal glance. (Obviously no tip or chrome)

X2 to me stack shows u have mods. Stock appearing exhaust is best for the sleeper I know I look at exhaust when I see another truck

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
X2 to me stack shows u have mods. Stock appearing exhaust is best for the sleeper I know I look at exhaust when I see another truck

To me when I see one on the highway I think some punk kid with a smarty stacked with efilive stacked with h&s. Lol. I wouldn't run a stack unless it was a dedicated race/Pulling truck and I would hide it. After riding in trucks with a stack I wouldn't want one as a daily driver.

Brabham 64

May 26, 2014
And the stack is going to be hidden that's the point you'll only see about 2" on top and see the smoke if any! I wanna eliminate that as much as possible.

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
A shell is good sleeper camoflage. A stack isn't for sleepers, forget that, and running it through the shell makes no sense. Not only look dumb, I don't know how you'd keep it from leaking in the rain. Plus the top of your shell will get covered with soot and the paint could easily sizzle. On a diesel Bonneville streamliner with side exit exhaust.....that whole side of the car behind the pipe was black. And after only a few runs the paint was cooked.

Last edited:

dmaxman06

May 25, 2011
morenci az
u got the shell for cheap so u might as well try it if it doesent work o well but its allways good to try new things good or bad at least u tried but yeah u should probley keep a fire ext in the truck at all times lol