Building my own intake awesomeness

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Decided the afe magnum force that came on my truck is ugly and isnt up to my liking. So im going to make my own.

I also have the AFE turbo inlet too and will be ditching that in favor of the lbz turbo inlet. Lbz turbo inlet is bigger and in my opinion, better in every way than the afe inlet.

Lucky for you guys i ordered parts to build the intake last week and everything showed up today. Got to work this afternoon and finished it all up so you guy can see start to finish in one shot.

The afe intake i had was dinky. Goes from 3.5" at the turbo inlet to 4" at the air filter. My new intake is 4" and the turbo inlet and immediately goes to 5". The filter is an airaid...not sure which model because it and the lbz turbo inlet were both given to me, but the filter has a 6" inlet. This new intake will flow much better than the old.

Old setup. Not to mention all the rubber boots are dry rotted and falling apart.

Sanded the turbo inlet down and painted it gloss black. The whole intake will be gloss black.
Got the new 4"-5" boot from silicone couplers.

Moving on...built the filter heat shield thing. This one mainly just fills in the empty hole that is there. There isnt a shield on the engine side of the box. This is how i wanted it.

Tacked together

All burned in

Fits like a glove!

All cleaned up and mounted.

Decided to give myself some more clearance so i trimmed it back 1 1/4" on this edge.

Got a piece of flat stock and threw it in my mill and made a maf mounting plate.

Now onto the intake tube construction. I missed a few pics here so im skipping right to it being all tacked up. The elbows i ordered were way long and had to be cut down a ton. Basically only used the part of the pipes that actually had the bends in them. But it worked out perfect! As you can see, the tube transitions from 5" to 6" at the air filter.

Heres kind where i forgot to take some pics. The whole tube is burned in all the way and cleaned up. Maf plate is on, works and looks great too.

There is a mounting tab welded to the backside of the tube that you cant see. Keeps it sturdy but allows for some movement so it can flex with the engine.

And here is the finished product minus paint. I like it alot! Im actually like way stoked about it! I need my maf rescaled before i can run it tho.

Got it back from paint tonight also. I cant wait to have this thing on!

Hope everyone enjoyed my little DIY intake:D

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Wow, that's really sweet, job well done:thumb:

I wish I could weld:(, when we get our next house, which is soon, it will have a shop and some space, then I am going to try and learn and teach myself, I've done a few tacks over the years and actually added material to excavator teeth and buckets, but no real welding though. (Sigh) maybe someday I'll be cool like that:rofl:

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I don't see a brace to mount it? looks good though:thumb:

There's a brace on the other side of the pipe. I some how managed to not get it in any of the pics. I'll get a pic of it when I get home. It bolts down into where one of the legs for the coolant tank is at. Its nice and sturdy:thumb:

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Wow, that's really sweet, job well done:thumb:

I wish I could weld:(, when we get our next house, which is soon, it will have a shop and some space, then I am going to try and learn and teach myself, I've done a few tacks over the years and actually added material to excavator teeth and buckets, but no real welding though. (Sigh) maybe someday I'll be cool like that:rofl:

I tought myself to weld when I was 13 or 14. My brother bought me a harbor freight 110 volt piece of crap. I made do for a long time with that welder. Then about 3 years ago I upgraded to the 220 volt harbor freight welder and got solid wire with c25 gas. Man what a night and day difference compared to flux core wire. I honestly love this 220 harbor freight welder. Its easy to use and get most any job done. Also has the delicasy to weld thin material.

I used some bigger millers not to long ago and finally got pissed off trying to use them because it was a pain to set it up and get the amperage dialed in. If in had more time on the miller I'm sure I would love it and throw my harbor freight welder in the trash. But it welds just as good:)

My fab skills have sure come a long way since 10 years ago when I started welding.

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
You may need to recalibrate you maf because of the bigger tubing. Shouldn't be a big deal though. Looks good!