LB7: build bearings

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
Alrighty guy's,im almost at the stage for assembling my block and have some Q's about bearings.I have been shopping for a complete set of clevite h mains/thrust,rod and cam bearings and the best price I can come up with is cotnp at about $450 usd but when I add shipping and conversion from us to can I am over $600(give or take)so my question is at what point are h series needed over p's?I know the p series will work but is it a REALLY bad idia to use them?Can get factory p's at cost which is about half is why I ask.Thanks for any advice and tips as this is my first build!

Slowmax

Build what others' won't
Aug 3, 2013
United States
If your building a performance motor put in H bearings. If it is not going to be a high HP build put what you feel comfortable with. The machine shop I use has shown me the difference in the two. From what I saw there was a big difference in wear between the two. The price between the two is for that reason. But cost is always gonna be the determining factor. Is having those P bearings coated in Canada an option?

Last edited:

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
If your building a performance motor put in H bearings. If it is not going to be a high HP build put what you feel comfortable with. The machine shop I use has shown me the difference in the two. From what I saw not hear say. But cost is always gonna be the determining factor. Is having those P bearings coated in Canada an option?
Not sure on coating them!A built duramax up here is unheard of so we pay out the ass for anything and everything.i know there some members south of me but performance diesel isn't big like down south.This is a performance build so I guess I will have to save my pennies for the h's,Thanks for the reply.

SilveradoTwins02

Hopefully twins soon
Aug 5, 2014
Hanover PA
Not sure on coating them!A built duramax up here is unheard of so we pay out the ass for anything and everything.i know there some members south of me but performance diesel isn't big like down south.This is a performance build so I guess I will have to save my pennies for the h's,Thanks for the reply.

Pm sent on a good price on bearings

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Just get ahold of Henry or SoCal. Slowmax pretty much summed up the reasoning.

SilveradoTwins, why do you keep doing that? You dont believe in supporting the vendors that help support this site?
I can guaran-damn-tee you that Henry would probably match whatever price your off-site vendor could quote short of undercutting the manufacturer, so how about supporting this site yourself? Its not like your luck with off-site vendors is all that great. :rolleyes:

SilveradoTwins02

Hopefully twins soon
Aug 5, 2014
Hanover PA
Just get ahold of Henry or SoCal. Slowmax pretty much summed up the reasoning.

SilveradoTwins, why do you keep doing that? You dont believe in supporting the vendors that help support this site?
I can guaran-damn-tee you that Henry would probably match whatever price your off-site vendor could quote short of undercutting the manufacturer, so how about supporting this site yourself? Its not like your luck with off-site vendors is all that great. :rolleyes:

The Bac. You do have a point on the off site vendor. That was the first time in 27 years of buying performance parts that I had an issue. I built my first motor (350 chevy) in 9 th grade and have been playing with engines and race cars, motorcycles, powerboats ever since then.
Henry does have great prices and he will deal with you the best he can. I have bought from vendors on here. It is just that motor parts can be obtained cheaper for the people that don't have deep pockets. This gentleman had a price and he has to pay a premium since he lives in Canada. Just thought I could help save him 100 dollars on so. I have asked for quotes on a total package from a
couple vendors and they came back with what there I Net price was.

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
Silveradotwins02...Thank you and I do appreciate the help in a big way from everyone on DD,I have the bug but the prob is these parts are sooooo damn pricey that even the used stuff I buy is tuff and I know im not the only one that has to scrape.At this point stopping the build because of money is not an option so I have to do it carfully and the garage sale section and pm's about better prices has helped a bunch.Thanks for all the info and tips along the way guy's.Will start a thread when assembly starts.:thumb:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Alrighty guy's,im almost at the stage for assembling my block and have some Q's about bearings.I have been shopping for a complete set of clevite h mains/thrust,rod and cam bearings and the best price I can come up with is cotnp at about $450 usd but when I add shipping and conversion from us to can I am over $600(give or take)so my question is at what point are h series needed over p's?I know the p series will work but is it a REALLY bad idia to use them?Can get factory p's at cost which is about half is why I ask.Thanks for any advice and tips as this is my first build!

Must ask how was you coming up with these prices ? 350.00 free shipping in Us and canada is USPS priority international you pay that and most times its low.
http://creaturesofthenightperforman...Washer-Bearings-Set-for-Duramax-P2372217.aspx

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
Must ask how was you coming up with these prices ? 350.00 free shipping in Us and canada is USPS priority international you pay that and most times its low.
http://creaturesofthenightperforman...Washer-Bearings-Set-for-Duramax-P2372217.aspx

Is shipping added in on these items?Your site sais shipping may be added in on some items but wasn't counting on it. $350 for bearing kit,$90 for cam bearings is a good price but add us to canada conversion+ the ride+brokerage fees=me getting bent over just to get them home.I ended up paying $385.72 to my door

Last edited:

RHallenbeck

Aug 21, 2014
Beaumont, Texas
In a gasser engine typically the H- series are used due to the bearing being a narrowed type to clear the heavy radius on aftermarket cranks. If the crank has stock radius I generally used the P series due to the full bearing surface.. All this could be different in the Diesel world though...
Rick

SilveradoTwins02

Hopefully twins soon
Aug 5, 2014
Hanover PA
Is shipping added in on these items?Your site sais shipping may be added in on some items but wasn't counting on it. $350 for bearing kit,$90 for cam bearings is a good price but add us to canada conversion+ the ride+brokerage fees=me getting bent over just to get them home.I ended up paying $385.72 to my door

Was this for all the bearings "H" series mains and rods and std thrust and cam?

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo

Shipping is free or added already to most items on my site some even have a area to check off for canada for added difference in cost.
I take the cost from shipping in the US and take that off the USPS international priority cost and that's all the cost up north ever pays the fees there worked into the shipping you pay nothing else at the door.
I take it you did not buy the Clevite cam bearings off Rock autos site they had 2 types pricing added up werd from pricing.
And yes I would of matched or beat pricing shown to me.

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
Shipping is free or added already to most items on my site some even have a area to check off for canada for added difference in cost.
I take the cost from shipping in the US and take that off the USPS international priority cost and that's all the cost up north ever pays the fees there worked into the shipping you pay nothing else at the door.
I take it you did not buy the Clevite cam bearings off Rock autos site they had 2 types pricing added up werd from pricing.
And yes I would of matched or beat pricing shown to me.

I still need a bunch of stuff and would rather support a vendor over someone else.I will be making an order for all the tty fasteners and gaskets and such.