Question: Budget Stance Options

jcole3434

Nov 17, 2013
Clinton TWP, MI
Ok Im sure this has been touched on before and i apologize, maybe someone could redirect?

I put a set of 305/70r16s on my truck and love the way it looks compared to the 285s, but now i want more. I want to give it a little meaner stance, but at the same time, as with any new truck idea i want it now now now. Opposed to waiting until more funds are availible. I know nothing for these trucks is "cheap", but leveling kits for $200-300? wheel spacers? How terrible will a kit with torsion keys and 3" blocks make it ride? any suggestions would be great!

Uncle Jesse

Jul 28, 2014
A levelling kit with some good shocks will help with the ride quality without being too expensive, instead of blocks in the rear I'd suggest air bags, they will help a great deal with towing and you can customize the height easier, keep in mind with the air bags pumped up you will have a stiff ride in the rear. Don't go too high in the front, you'll be going through ball joints and cv shafts a lot quicker if you go too high, which defeats the purpose of keeping it low budget, I lifted mine 1.5" in the front and have air bags in the rear, I still have the stock shocks but would like to install some bilstien's in it. Don't forget about the offset of your rims influencing the size of tire that will fit under the fender with out a lift kit. All in all your best bet is to wait and decide what you really want and go for that instead of wasting money on something you won't be happy with.

Keep 'er 'tween the ditches

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
The best advice I can give any newbie to this site is this:

Learn to have some patience, save up your money, and then do it the right way the first time.

That goes for every kind of mod on these trucks.

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
Two different ways I did this on my trucks. I did NOT add leveling keys. Just stock keys cranked up. With the rear end you can add 1.5" or 2" blocks. I wouldn't go higher than 2". Or what I ended up doing was grabbed a set of old leaf springs from a buddy who put some "heavy duty" springs on his truck. Then I took out the blocks and added two springs to my pack. You get the best of both worlds, it rides good, holds more weight without squatting, and you won't have the axle wrap you get with blocks and air bags. Plus it's cheap as shit to do.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Two different ways I did this on my trucks. I did NOT add leveling keys. Just stock keys cranked up. With the rear end you can add 1.5" or 2" blocks. I wouldn't go higher than 2". Or what I ended up doing was grabbed a set of old leaf springs from a buddy who put some "heavy duty" springs on his truck. Then I took out the blocks and added two springs to my pack. You get the best of both worlds, it rides good, holds more weight without squatting, and you won't have the axle wrap you get with blocks and air bags. Plus it's cheap as shit to do.

You get an award for this one, my kinda stuff works really well, cheap, thinking before spending money, I would almost call you tree hugger by reusing parts........:thumb: