Bucking in reverse

ChevyTruck

Boats an Hoes!
Oct 19, 2011
Newark, De
Why would my truck buck in reverse? It's only when I let off the brake. I have a funny feeling that it's the TC but I'm no expert. Just looking for opinions.

ChevyTruck

Boats an Hoes!
Oct 19, 2011
Newark, De
Is it a single buck (pop) or continuous while backing? Mine has done it for years, but its rarely more than one time during each backing event.

I've noticed it for a while doing a single pop. Today it was more of a bucking motion. I'll try it again when I get home and back into my driveway.

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
My 8.1 truck lunges when you let it coast in reverse. It get's bad if you let it keep going. Of course it also makes an electrical whining sound from the trans about every other time you back up.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Just a thought I know sometimes when you come to a stop going forward you occasionally feel a bump like someone tagged you in the ass. The cause of this in some cases has shown to be the slip yoke being dry and hanging up. I wonder if possibly that could be the cause or a whole different beast going on here?

Just thinking out loud.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Yes sir. I just don't like it doing stupid shit like this. :(

Does it do it backing straight up or while turning some? After a nice ride pull the Trans stick and check the fluid and see if it's foaming or anything. Do you know if they ever changed the spin on filter or changed the fluid and inside filter.

ChevyTruck

Boats an Hoes!
Oct 19, 2011
Newark, De
Just a thought I know sometimes when you come to a stop going forward you occasionally feel a bump like someone tagged you in the ass. The cause of this in some cases has shown to be the slip yoke being dry and hanging up. I wonder if possibly that could be the cause or a whole different beast going on here?

Just thinking out loud.

It's worth a check of the fluid. Never thought of checking it, I'll take a look.

Does it do it backing straight up or while turning some? After a nice ride pull the Trans stick and check the fluid and see if it's foaming or anything. Do you know if they ever changed the spin on filter or changed the fluid and inside filter.

It was a straight back up. I do think that the external filter was changed at the time I bought it.

ChevyTruck

Boats an Hoes!
Oct 19, 2011
Newark, De

Just thinking out loud.

How would I lube up the slip yoke? Okay honestly I must of miss understood this the first time.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
How would I lube up the slip yoke? Okay honestly I must of miss understood this the first time.

Right way or wrong way?

Right way is to drop the front half of the driveshaft.

Crawl under there you'll figure it out. You might find a easier way. ;)

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
GM recommends a special grease I just used regular synthetic grease like above. Mine is due again but I'm in no hurry I don't get bucking in reverse but I do get the 'bump'.

Perhaps the drive-shaft differences make some worse than others. I have the famous telephone pole aluminum shaft. Also it could be the differences in truck models from dually (which I have) compared to CC short box which I believe have the same drive-shaft as I have. I'm assuming you have the same.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I believe there is even an updated slip yoke available from GM that is meant to permanently fix this issue. But for some outrageous price