Broken injector bolts lmm

Sgtvaldez27

Mar 21, 2019
Va
Recently got an 2008 lmm cc Dually for free from my neighbor (I’m really close with him). He has had his Dually parked for 2 months and said it needed injectors. So he started the tear down. He pretty much broke the tips of all the glow plugs which is an easy fix as the 12mm head is still there to remove them as replace them as they are only 18 dollars my cost. Thing that gets me is he broke the injector hold down bolts. The head isn’t visible. I was thinking of removing injectors and hoping to extract somehow? Has this ever happened to anyone?! Input would be awesome!
-dez

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Pretty common, the bolt will corrode to the rocker housing. You might he able to extract them, I had to pull the rocker housing off of mine.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Just for the heck of it crawl down there and make sure the damper dose not rock up and down ! It would be best to find out now if it has a broken crank or not ! Good luck !

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
I would try and get the glow plugs out first. Just I case 1 would break off then you at least know you have to dig pretty deep to repair that. Then depending on mileage or condition of the truck you might find since you got a hell of a deal on the truck you might just want to consider a new long block.

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
I broke a hold down bolt in my lmm. Was able to pull the valve cover and had just enough threads visible sticking out of the head. Soak everything in some pb blaster for a couple days then like others said go for glow plugs first.

Sgtvaldez27

Mar 21, 2019
Va
Quick update!
Starting moving stuff to get access to injectors to remove. Ordered the injector puller and I already have a glow plug remover attachment for the air hammer (I have another lmm and did glow plugs on that before). I have attached pictures. Injector tool comes in Monday from federated. So I’m just going to move everything and pb blast everything for the next couple of days.
Thanks for all the comments! I’d prefer not to replace the engine if I don’t need to. I feel if I could fix it all for around 2500 bucks it’s a lot better then buying a 4000 good used engine.
I’ll attach pictures. I have never messed with a duramax to this extent so it’s a learning process. Everything is pretty rusted but I’m taking my time and using pb blaster religiously.

Edit:tried to attach pictures but won’t let me through my phone.