Allison 5sp: Broken flex plate????

JustinD

Plow Truck
Nov 21, 2008
Tiverton Rhode Island
I have been away this past weekend, I had my buddy pick me up and I noticed my truck making loud noises, it comes from the bellhousing and only makes noise when the truck is idling (no load) as soon as I touch the throttle it goes away, if I stop when in gear I can hold a little throttle and brake and there is no noise? Do I have a broken flex plate or the bolts falling out? I gotta replace my converter this week anyway (bought a higher stall) but I just wanted to know how common it is and if there are any aftermarket upgrades for this??

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Sounds just like mine did when I cracked mine

ATS and I think Banks make a billet plate....I just went stock again

DmaxHawk

Ranch with my Salad
Oct 28, 2008
the 575
Sounds like what happened to mine. Ovaled out the bolt holes and eventually snapped the bolts off.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Loose converter bolts will make a whole lot of noise as well. If you plan to change converters I would wait until you pull the trans, inspect the flexplate and then make sure you torque the TC bolts to spec when you put them in.

JustinD

Plow Truck
Nov 21, 2008
Tiverton Rhode Island
Yeah probably gonna go stock for now. Our trucks have a flywheel and a flexplate correct? It looks like the ATS and Banks units are just a flywheel?? It seems a little weird I am used to the converter bolting to the flywheel like a SBC.

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
Yeah probably gonna go stock for now. Our trucks have a flywheel and a flexplate correct? It looks like the ATS and Banks units are just a flywheel?? It seems a little weird I am used to the converter bolting to the flywheel like a SBC.

I think the flywheel is the flexplate. The piece the converter bolts to is the same thing that the starter engages to start the engine. So call it a flexplate/flywheel?

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
GMPartsPrintOuts017.jpg

The part you think you broke is # 25 you will need 8 of #24 they have to be replaced can not be reused. On eguy on here had to get 19 and 25.

Last edited: