Allison 5sp: Broke VSS wire, tranny wouldn't shift

Big Angry

<--My idea of a good time
Sep 3, 2006
South Central Pa
This past weekend while out of town at the family's Camp, I went for a ride Saturday afternoon, and truck wouldn't shift out of 1st gear and I had some codes and service brake system message coming up.
V2 said P0700, P0722, C0035 (front wheel speed sensor) and C0055 (rear wheel speed sensor).
Crawling underneath to check the VSS on the back of the T case, I was suprised to see the sensor wire was broke between the 2 connectors, I unclipped them, we pulled out to splice back together (so I could get it home, as I was 4 hours away) and when I went to put it back in, the connector ( that I believe either goes to the VSS for the front shaft or to the tranny) was also snapped, so we had to remove some loom to find out where it was broken, and spliced that together temporarily. It worked, the TCM codes went away, and truck shifts just like it's supposed to. However, immediately upon start up, I still get the C0035 and C0055 codes, they clear, and don't come back until next start up. Brakes seem to work fine.
I stopped by a local Chevy garage today, they told me $1300 for a new engine harness that would include everything from engine back, I declined. We are going to solder all connections and re-loom and and re fasten lines back in place.
I think something may have got caught in there or something, or perhaps what holds the loom away from the front drive shaft broke or came loose and it (wires) became entangled around front shaft.
Any thoughts on the ABS codes? Anyone have a harness they want to sell the VSS connector wires from?

Thanks.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
The VSS wires need to be twisted together evrey 2 inches I believe. They do not work well untwisted.

Big Angry

Sep 3, 2006
South Central Pa
Interesting, that would explain when I pulled them out, why they looked like they got wrapped around something.
Is it possible to just buy those from Somewhere? Or can we twist them ourselves?
This is starting to smell very expensive. :(
The untwisting, is that perhaps whey the ABS codes are still there? Or are they stored and need to be cleared with a Tech II?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Interesting, that would explain when I pulled them out, why they looked like they got wrapped around something.
Is it possible to just buy those from Somewhere? Or can we twist them ourselves?
This is starting to smell very expensive. :(
The untwisting, is that perhaps whey the ABS codes are still there? Or are they stored and need to be cleared with a Tech II?

You can twist the wires yourself. I think you might need a Tech 2 to clear ther abs codes as you have to go into the abs controller to do it.
Delco sells the speed sensor pig tails which gives you about 8 inches of wire behind the connector. You need to twist them yourself.

Big Angry

Sep 3, 2006
South Central Pa
You can twist the wires yourself. I think you might need a Tech 2 to clear ther abs codes as you have to go into the abs controller to do it.
Delco sells the speed sensor pig tails which gives you about 8 inches of wire behind the connector. You need to twist them yourself.

Thanks Mike, the dealer also had the plugs w/pigtails, I think I might pick them up, just to be safe.

Thanks.