Question: Breaking Tail Lights

Duramax 6.6L

Nov 23, 2006
Esperance, NY
I have a problem where I am breaking the mounting tabs off the tail lights every time I race. I am told that the truck tries to lift the drivers side front wheel. This is getting expensive buying new tail light every time I drag race.

Any ideas on what would be causing this, or what can be done to stop this.

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
there is a problem with the '06 and i would assume the '07 tailights. its not just drag trucks breaking them.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
My 04 was less than 6 months old when a coworker told me that my tail light was hanging out. I called the dealer and ordered a new one. When I took it in, I knew the service writer (knew more about my GF's car than his mechanics) and he looked at it. Said he has seen it before, and would replace it under warranty. His mechanic did the repair while the truck was under the cover. We pulled the other side and found it cracked. Since neither had marks on them he warrantied both. He ordered the other side, and about a week later went in to have it replaced. When I pulled it out, it was not broke completely, so my finger brushed it and it became 2 pcs. Looked like the factory pushed too hard when putting the screws in and broke the tab.

For racing if you think that the frame torque is breaking them, just remove it before your runs down the track.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
My truck is a 06 and I have came out of the hole hard alot and I still have the stock tail lights in. Only time they come out is for Is bulb change.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Maybe rubber washer or something so it has some give. Haven't launched my truck a lot in 4WD, but mine are stock still and it sees a lot of very rough terrain .

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
Maybe it's someting to do with the dually specific lights on a chevy?? That's really odd.

chevy specific no. not many duallys seemed to be affected. my dads '06 gmc dually had busted tailight mounts. there are a few threads on the place about it.

Last edited: